Safe Sleep Every Time!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iThinkergoiMac, Mar 5, 2011.

1. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

My MacBook is going into safe sleep (or maybe I should call it the hybrid mode, since it's saving the sleep image to both the RAM and HDD) every time I put it to sleep. This is annoying because before I could close the MacBook and pretty much go, but now I have to wait for it to write the sleep image to the disk. I'm not sure what has caused this, but how should I go about restoring normal procedure?

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

From what you've said, this sounds normal. All Intel Mac laptops save the sleep image to the hard drive every time you put them to sleep. What would not be normal is if you see the gray loading screen every time you wake it up.

Perhaps you upgraded the RAM, so it takes longer.

3. iThinkergoiMac thread starter macrumors 68030

I have upgraded the RAM, but this started happening significantly later.

Before, I could close the lid and the external LED would start pulsing half a second later, indicating that the computer had entered complete sleep. Now, the LED stays steady for 10-15 seconds and then begins to pulse.

My understanding is that the MacBook should only enter Safe Sleep whenever the battery is low, is this not correct?

4. Detrius macrumors 68000

Every time the machine goes to sleep, it saves an image to the hard drive, so every sleep is " safe sleep." Then, when the battery dies, it doesn't matter, and it doesn't have to do anything. You can remove the battery, and it's already prepared.

5. iThinkergoiMac thread starter macrumors 68030

6. psxguru macrumors 6502a

7. Detrius macrumors 68000

I didn't say you were conjuring anything up. It's my job to know this stuff. See where it says I'm an Apple Certified Macintosh Technician? It's on by default. I've been trying to tell you exactly what those links say. I watch this behavior an random people's machines every day.

8. iThinkergoiMac thread starter macrumors 68030

Gotcha. When you put Safe Sleep in quotes, that was the impression I got. Thanks for clearing it up!

Still, my machine definitely must have been on a different sleep mode for a while, because it used to sleep instantly. Oh well.