Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
I wonder if Apple will ever support this feature for previous Powerbooks and iBooks. Probably not, they got to have some selling point for the pathetic state of the current PowerBook line.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
hehe did anyone read the full article? you can do this on any mac. its just a basic hack. apparently!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The Apple beat Windows with this feature, one of the things that the Lisa used to do.

Was also a feature that was shown on Mac OS X in the early stages, but a feature that didn't make it into the shipping versions.

LawHog

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
This is great. My 8/04 PowerBook SafeSlept in about 10 seconds, and awoke in about 20. Thanks much for the link.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
when i got my powerbook over a week ago, i let the battery run all the way down to calibrate it. i was expecting it to go into sleep mode but instead it looked as if it shutdown. i was like wtf because the sleep light was not pulsing and i figured the powerbook turned off! i plugged the ac adapter in and hit the power button and watched the screen light up. weird...it was a monochrome screen with a progress bar at the bottom.

now that i found this thread, i realize what it means! lol.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I hope that Apple (or someone else) releases a GUI version or a preference pane for this. That would be really neat. Then you can just click a box that says "Use Safe Sleep" or "Use safe sleep instead of Sleep"

It would also be neat to just have that option from the apple menu, and perhaps a keyboard shortcut to go along with it.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
I'd like to see this officially built into the Energy Saver Preference.

Also, a choice between bright sleep light or dim sleep light. (Yes, minor, I know but it's annoying when it gets really bright when you close the lid and it's dark.)

And finally, the option to choose if the computer wakes up by opening the lid or the power button. (Not any key, bahh, that's just cheating)

That'd make me a happy man! :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.