Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
ElectricSheep said:
I can verify that the new 'safe sleep' feature works with both my 12'' 1 Ghz aluminum Powerbook (with MDI out), and my Dual-867 MDD PowerMac G4. This means two things: I can swap batteries out of my PowerBook without having to perform a full shutdown, and the UPS attached to my Dual-867 became a lot more useful. Now, when the power fails, I can simply have my tower go into safe sleep mode, preserving the state its in, and in the case the power is out longer than the UPS is capable of sustaining the PowerMac, I don't have to worry about the system losing its place when the power is finally restored.
Hmmm... anyone want to try it on a G5?

foosh

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2005
What's so great about safe sleep? You can do normal RAM-powered sleep for days or even weeks! Plus that's much faster... Someone please enlighten me...otherwise I'll go on assuming this is just excitement purely for the fun of entering console commands rather than something that's actually useful.

I have a new PB with this enabled by default...I've turned it off. As someone said above, I'd rather have the extra gig of disk space.

EDIT: Although since I've gone back and looked at this again, I noticed that the 'sleepimage' file keeps coming back even though I'm not using Safe Sleep. Does anyone know how to make it NOT come back? One idea I thought of would be to set "Hibernate File" in com.apple.PowerManagement.plist to either "0" or "/dev/null/sleepimage" ... though I haven't tried either of these yet.

FINAL EDIT:
For those who care, I set the "Hibernate File" string to "0" and sleepimage didn't come back on reboot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.