safe surfing at a hotspot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by estee065, Jun 10, 2007.

1. estee065 macrumors member

OK, so I want to sit at the Starbucks and show off my new macbook. What precautions do I need to do to be as safe as possible? Should I create an account just for that with all sharing disabled, or is that overkill. I have sharing turned on in my regular account to share with my pc at home, will this allow anyone else in out in public? Thanks for any replies.

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

you should turn off/disable all the stuff you don't use, etc.

however, as long as you're using an open network, there really isn't such a thing as safe surfing...

3. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Yes, it will probably allow people in out in public unless you've password protected your computer. Then it would offer some sort of protection. However it's better just to disable Windows Sharing and everything like that. Technically windows laptops shouldn't even be able to see you then. Or at least that's what I've found.

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

And just to be "safe", dont do any banking/credit card or other financial transactions online that could compromise your account info and/or passwords :D

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

When I'm at a public wifi spot, I tend to VPN into my office before surfing. I am under the impression that this is safer. Am I correct?

6. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

Does starbucks use t-mobile hotspot? How much is it anyway?

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, Starbucks, Borders and FedEx-Kinkos to name the biggest.

Attached Files:

8. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I knew about Starbucks and Borders, but just the other day I stopped in one of the libraries in Queens and was told that all branches in the borough offer high-speed wireless internet access, with selected locations also allowing laptop users to plug in their power adapters. That will serve me so well when I make my purchase.

9. estee065 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all. You've reinforced what I already knew, so I feel better about turning on in public.