Safe tethering?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by amart26, Mar 29, 2011.

1. amart26 macrumors member

With AT&T finding out about tethering, is it still safe to do? Which app?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. amart26 thread starter macrumors member

4. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Don't be a bandwidth pig and you won't have a problem.

5. amart26 thread starter macrumors member

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

+1 :d

7. byeehaaw macrumors 6502

8. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

I'd say if you use 4 GB or less per billing cycle, you'll be okay. Of course, I'm no rocket surgeon, I just stayed at a holiday inn express last night.

9. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

I second TetherMe. Why pay more? It enables tethering natively unlike that OTHER program.

10. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Carriers can still tell if you are using TetherMe or OTHER program by looking in to packets/IP. It doesn't matter what you use because it will be different if you use internet on your iPhone or other devices. And for anyone saying, " just don't use more than X gig per month then you are fine". No one knows; that's just people guessing/assuming.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:D

12. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I know that using a VPN will encrypt your internet traffic, but I am not sure it will encrypt the device type that is accessing the internet through your phone. I turn my VPN on when tethering anyway, just for my (maybe pseudo) peace of mind.

13. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

FYI, this does NOTHING to prevent AT&T from seeing you are tethering.

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You're right. I should've said it seems to be safer based on whose been getting messages and that's just my personal opinion (although, I thought it being my opinion was pretty obvious).

Exactly. They can still see that you're tethering just not what you're doing or the data you're exchanging.

15. AshMan macrumors regular

If they were to look at your data/packets to see what you are doing, then I would assume there may be some kind of violation of privacy laws there.

So My assumption is that they are simply looking at how much data is being used. Because if they were inspecting packets and retrieving data from them, they could be compromizing your security. Say if I was using my bank, they could potentially have access to private account information if they were snooping on the packets.

As far as I know, the data is just data and they should not be able to tell what the data is.

Now there may be some kind of header information the data has attached to it specifying the browser type, version, operating system etc that could be easily read so that could be how they check it.

16. gngan, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Just want to make it clear for the OP. There are too people that believe "if you stay under Xgig per month then you are safe" theory. It's misleading to some people.

If website can tell what browser you are using when you visit then i assume it should be the same with carriers being able to tell what you are using.

17. Trey1984 macrumors regular

Ib4 the you can't hack to much act from people...nevermind

18. Collin789 macrumors regular

Collin789

You're Fine...

I really don't think you're in that much danger. That's just what I think though. My guess is this message is only being used to scare people. I don't know too much about what AT&T can actually do in terms of switching your plan over to a tethering plan, but I kinda think they couldn't even legally do something without your permission.
    As far as which tethering app to use, I don't think that will put you in any less danger (even though I don't think you're in danger now).