Safe to buy iPhone or wait until after September 5th?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Martin C, Aug 31, 2007.

  1. Martin C macrumors 6502a

    Martin C

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2006
    Location:
    New York City
    #1
    My contract with T-Mobile has ended and I was planning on getting an iPhone in couple hours? Is this a safe bet, or is their a chance that an iPhone update or an iPhone nano could arrive on September 5th?
     
  2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

    scaredpoet

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    #2
    If you're taht concerned abou tit, why not just wait until September 5? it's less than a week away.
     
  3. lord patton macrumors 65816

    lord patton

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2005
    Location:
    Chicago
    #3
    chances of iPhone update: <2% (hardware updates, that is—there's always a chance for software upgrades like chat and custom ringtones)

    chances of iPhone nano: 10% (although sometime in the next year, I consider it near certainty)

    chances you'll love you iPhone no matter when you buy it: 110% (no matter what Mr. Burns' softball team o' ringers says, 110 is possible!)
     
  4. Martin C thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Martin C

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2006
    Location:
    New York City
  5. hayduke macrumors 65816

    hayduke

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2005
    Location:
    is a state of mind.
    #5
    It will not see a hardware update for a while. It is safe to buy. That being said, I would still wait until after Sept. 5th seeing as it is so close. :):):)
     
  6. Skystar macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 15, 2007
    #6
    Buy one and ENJOY it. Now is the time to have an iPhone, all this exciting news coming out. If worst comes to worst, Sept 5th is within the 14day return policy, although you may eat the restocking fee? I don't think you have anything to worry about. Buy one, and enjoy the holiday weeked with it! ;)
     
  7. gceo macrumors 6502a

    gceo

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2007
    Location:
    San Diego, CA
    #7
    No hardware upgrade eminent, and software is a breeze to update. Go for it.
     
  8. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

    Canuck4

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2007
  9. d21mike macrumors 68040

    d21mike

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2007
    Location:
    Torrance, CA
    #9
    Buy now so that when the software update comes out you will be ready.
     
  10. Amblinman macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2007
    #10
    I think you're safe. Why the hell would you want an iPhone nano anyway? How much smaller do you some of you need these things?
     
  11. gceo macrumors 6502a

    gceo

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2007
    Location:
    San Diego, CA
    #11
    One more quick thought.

    If you wait until Sept 6th to buy the phone, and there is a software update on the 5th to facilitate ringtones, you're still going to need to update, because the phones in the supply chain all have the older firmware.
     
  12. Littlebit macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2007
    #12
    Ayep, what (s)he said. I bought my iPhone last Sunday and as soon as it was charged enough to sync, I had a prompt to download 1.0.2 (which superseded 1.0.1, so I got ALL of the updates at the same time).
     
  13. TimJim macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 15, 2007
    #13
    i myself would wait. theres less than a week away, i think you can survive that long without any cell phone.
     
  14. zap2 macrumors 604

    zap2

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2005
    Location:
    Washington D.C
    #14
    You'll be fine, but I remember a while ago rumors were iPhone nano was due out in Sept.


    But really, you'd be in the 14 day return so you'd be fine.


    Or live with T Mobile for 5 extra days
     
  15. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 27, 2007
    #15
    This is going to be an iPod event, there most certainly won't be any new hardware on the iPhone side of things. You're completely safe to buy now. If anything, more functionality will be added to the iPhone (such as ringtones, etc.) via a software update or similar procedure.
     
  16. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2007
    Location:
    Sin City, NV
    #16
    Lol...thats what i would do
     
  17. twoodcc macrumors P6

    twoodcc

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    Location:
    Right side of wrong
    #17
    i think it's safe, but you never know with Apple. just wait, it's not that long away
     
  18. Martin C thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Martin C

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2006
    Location:
    New York City
    #18
    Thanks for all your help guys! I went out to the 5th Ave Apple Store and picked myself up an 8 GB. It's being activated right now via iTunes. I can't wait to play with it!
     
  19. twoodcc macrumors P6

    twoodcc

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    Location:
    Right side of wrong
    #19
    okay, have fun! but don't say i didn't warn you (good things come to those who wait)
     
  20. d21mike macrumors 68040

    d21mike

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2007
    Location:
    Torrance, CA
    #20
    You made a good decision. Great start to a 3 day weekend. Have fun and enjoy.
     
  21. JPS macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2007
    #21
    Just activated mine this morning, eight hours after my VZW contract was finally up. I couldn't be happier. It's an amazing little gadget--like having your MacBook in your pocket+your phone.

    And the activation took all of two minutes.
     
  22. Martin C thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Martin C

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2006
    Location:
    New York City
    #22
    Thanks Mike! I appreciate it.
     
  23. ctakim macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2006
  24. chepistolas macrumors member

    chepistolas

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2005
    Location:
    Chicago
    #24
    Lol.

    LOL.

    :D
     
  25. jordanshoes macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2007
    #25
    yeah im pissed and i bought it 2 months ago imagine this dude

    except he can just return it and he still gets back $150
     

Share This Page