Safe to buy macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yanaing, Nov 3, 2010.

1. yanaing macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Since 2010 will be end soon and macbook pro is updated to 2.8ghz i7. I just wondering, is it safe to buy a macbook pro now? Your suggestion will be really appreciated.
    Thank You

2. Acevesx macrumors regular

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

New MBP is expected to be released in Q1 2011. If you need it now, buy it.

4. fsumom macrumors regular

I didn't wait but that's because my 6 year old HP desktop needs to be replaced now. It's annoyingly slow and always freezing up.

5. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

It's never safe to buy a Mac... No wait that's a pc. Check the buyers guide, if it's near the end of a cycle and you can wait the do.

6. Julpride macrumors newbie

I am facing the same problem as thread starter. =)

All factors points to wait. Sandy Bridge, ending product life cycle and it being Apple.

Nothing is pointing to buying now except the urge to hold the shiny new MBP in your arms, unless your current notebook decides to R.I.P on you suddenly.

I would say wait for it. Wait with me. :p

7. yanaing thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply guys.
    I don't need it urgently. I just want to buy for my self as an X'mas present. :D

8. TopperHarley macrumors newbie

Same position.

I want a Mac 13" laptop, but I don't need it right now. I'll probably wait to around and just after xmas to see how things go. If I don't need the new upgrades that are offered, then hopefully I'll still be able to find a current base model but at a slightly lower price.

I'm not a pro computer user, so if it's just a speed bump, I'll probably still go with the 2.4ghz model. I hope that at least the price might come down a little!

9. RKpro macrumors 6502

Because MBPs didn't get bumped in October, their holiday lineup is set.
    We're most likely looking at updates around February.

10. robertbrian23 macrumors member

nobody really knows the release of the next models Q1/11 could be jan-march but it can be stretch til april or may.

if you can wait that longer so be it

11. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Safe to buy macbook pro?

Nope.. Very Unsafe.. but they LOOK Sooo Good!! :cool:

As always, BUY IT WHEN YOU NEED IT.. or as with All Electronics, people aren't Collecting them (at least it's unlikely) and it won't be worth any more in six months, since the Next Big Thing will replace it!!

:rolleyes:

12. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

wait till jan 2011, if you cant wait that long then just buy it now and if the new mbp has something you want then sell this and buy the new one :D

13. mark28 macrumors 68000

I don't think so. Apple is late, check out how many months later Apple came with their Arrendale laptops.

14. Mrs HBF macrumors regular

If they're going to 'update' it, do you think we'll see a price increase to reflect that?

15. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

lets hope not. They finally lowered the prices, i hope they wouldn't up them again.

16. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

I would wait, especially considering apple just released a new macbook air. Apple will probably take some of their magic from the air and transition it into the macbook pros (like they did for the unibody when they first introduced the air.) In this case it could be stock SSD for macbook pro, which is sorta a big deal-- now as long as they don't gimp you on the amount of SSD they put in for the price.

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Apple has never kept us waiting for more than 10-11 months and Q2 would mean that there has been 12 months without an update.

18. johnnyfiive macrumors 6502

johnnyfiive

Maybe buy a used one, save some money to put towards an ssd?

19. stjohnswell macrumors newbie

Buy one now and have a life for the next four months. Constantly hitting refresh on the Waiting for threads crushes your soul. I should know.

20. deeddawg macrumors 604

Seriously. Buy a used or refurb system and enjoy it for six months or so, then upgrade if it looks worthwhile. Often not a bad idea to let a new model/design be on the market a couple months before buying anyway.

21. snouter macrumors 6502a

Jan? Not likely.

It took Apple a long time to get the i5/i7 out the door.

The models are quite capable, unless you have life and death needs for even more power or the possibility of USB, the current models are pretty decent.