Safe to buy now or should I wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Liquinn, Mar 2, 2013.

  1. Liquinn, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013

    Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #1
    Hi, should I buy a Macbook Pro with retina display now or should I wait? I don't mind waiting; is it best to wait? Thanks.
     
  2. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

    Fireball Dragon

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2012
    Location:
    Chigwell, England
    #2
    They have just been updated, so there is no reason to wait.

    If you like the current machines and they meet your requirements, go for it!

    You may be waiting for the next refresh every time, as something better may always be around the corner... Time which could be spent enjoying you nee machine!
     
  3. unobtainium macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2011
    #3
    This is a common dilemma right now. They've just been updated, so normally this would be a great time to buy. But Intel is supposedly releasing new Haswell processors in June, which means the rMBP will be updated with a new processor architecture sometime this summer or early fall. This will benefit the 13" most, since the iGPU is said to be a big improvement with Haswell.

    Bottom line is, if you can wait 4-6 months, you'll get a better laptop for the same or less money. But the current machines are great, so if you need one now you should go ahead and buy.
     
  4. Kendo macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2011
    #4
    I would wait. HD 4000 is pretty powerful but Haswell's HD 4600 is said to increase GPU performance by up to 2X.
     
  5. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

    Ryan1524

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2003
    Location:
    Canada GTA
    #5
    ^ which only matters if/when you're on battery power. Any other time, you still have the GT650m.
     
  6. Sean76 macrumors 6502a

    Sean76

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2013
    Location:
    NYC
    #6
    @ the OP...

    Here's my take since this topic has been beatin to death, it really comes down to 2 things?

    A- How long can you wait?
    B- How much money you have to spend?

    If you can wait and dont need a machine right now, then I'd just suggest waiting and making due with what you have. Also if your ok with paying a high premium for a brand new just released computer in the early Summer months, again just wait.

    On the flip side of that...

    If you need a machine right now I'd suggest going out and buying one today! Yup today! And I'd also suggest picking up a 2012 if the 13inch model is what your looking into. From people I've spoken to and my own inquiries as for checking it out myself...The 2012 and the 2013 units are exactly the same for the exception of a small bump in processor speed...That's it! So if your into picking one up now, you can save yourself at least a few hundred dollars by grabbing a 2012 model.

    I had the choice of getting either one, and actually still have the choice as I still have about 5 more days to still return and exchange. But in the end I went with a 13inch 2012 rMBP and got it for roughly $1,400! Thats a big difference when you factor in the 2013 model is priced at $1,699.

    Either way you'll never be able to keep up, it's a very Vicious Cycle trying to keep up with technology...However I must say I Love my rMBP, best lap top i've ever owned.

    Good Luck
     
  7. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #7
    I can wait for 2-3 years or so. I'm not sure what the best idea is though. In 2-3 years time what I have now will be obsolete and I'll need to upgrade. Thoughts?
     
  8. unobtainium macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2011
    #8
    OP might be looking at a 13" though in which case the iGPU does matter.

    A lot of this speculation would be easier if we knew concrete release dates. June isn't very far away now but September/October is quite a while for people who are itching to upgrade now. Of course Apple won't be sharing its refresh timeline ;)
     
  9. Sean76 macrumors 6502a

    Sean76

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2013
    Location:
    NYC
    #9
    You mean buy now, and upgrade again in 2/3 years? Or you can wait 2/3 years to just plainly buy a machine?

    Either way, you will never be able to stay on top of technology unless you have very deep pockets.

    My advice is go to Apple or a reputable dealer, and try the machines for yourself. If you like what you see, then buy one. But don't think that waiting for the next best thing is the only way to roll, because you'll be waiting forever.

    If you want one now, then go try one and make a decision based on how you like the product.
     
  10. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #11
    I'm going to wait for Haswell or Broadwell.

    That way I get a better machine for the cash.
     

Share This Page