Safe to buy on ebay?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by piltupso, Nov 6, 2007.

1. piltupso macrumors regular

I have come into possession of a G4 server and would like to wipe it clean and upgrade it to Tiger. I want to do it on the cheap, as it is sort of a side project. Can anyone tell me about how safe it would be to buy a copy of Tiger off ebay. I am not worried about getting manuals or anything but how legal is it? I would like to do this cheap but legal and all the license mumbo jumbo is beyond me.

2. TimJim macrumors 6502a

Just look for one that says New In Box (NIB) and buy it.

3. admiraldennis macrumors regular

Don't bother unless the price difference is negligible.

It's not your responsibility to make sure the seller 'terminates his license' and no longer uses his copy of 10.4.

The client version of Mac OS X has no serialization or copyright protection whatsoever, so nothing can bite you in the ass.

Just make sure it's an actual (non-burned) disc, and you'll be all set.

4. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

Carefully scrutinize the feedback for the seller. If the seller has more than two total negative responses, be wary. Secondly, look only for the "retail box" version. You will have several people selling discs that are only for specific machines and will not work as a general install disc. If you follow those guidelines, then it is generally safe.

5. piltupso thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

Thanks, I guess its safe to try. I did notice a couple people trying to sell the original install disks that came with their machine, I thought that could cause a problem. I also noticed people mention that it required no serial number so that made me a little wary initially.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Make sure that it is EITHER
    1) a retail version -- black DVD's
    or
    2) The bundled version of the OS that is specific to your machine -- now since the G4 machine never shipped with Tiger, there is no machine-specific Tiger OS disks available.

Do not buy the OSX that came with a G5 machine or a notebook, there is a 99% chance it will not work on your hardware.

7. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

Avoid the bundle all together. After I had a bad first attempt of leopard so after the second attempt I wanted to get iLife back in... So I used my Wifes iMac bundle to reinstall iLife. It told me that I had the wrong system... I needed to dig out my MacBook Pro Restore disks....

8. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Post a wanted ad here....always works for me !