safe to buy or wait?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by kofman13, Sep 28, 2015.

1. kofman13 macrumors regular

Currently a pebble classic user and thinking of getting an apple watch...
    What do you all think the refresh cycle will be for this device? Do you think it will be yearly like the iphone? (in this case next one would be april 2016..).
    Personally, i feel like the apple watch would refresh less often than the iphone
    Thoughts?

2. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Your guess is as good as anyone else's. Personally I think it will be updated on a pretty Apple-typical basis of about 1 - 1.5 years between each version.

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Latest rumors say Apple watch 2 will be out around this time next year. The real question is what can Apple do to a smart watch to make it better?

- bigger screen? (makes no sense but I wouldn't rule it out)
    - better battery life? (current one lasts a full day no problem but nowhere near 5 days like a Pebble)
    - Facetime camera? (Not sure who at Apple thought Facetime on a 1.5" screen was a good idea)
    - More Bio sensors? ( cool but not a must-have imo)

Honestly, it's your call. I had a Pebble also. I love my Apple watch. Wish I had waited so I could have gotten the Space Black model as now they sell it with a sport band which is $400 cheaper than when the pre orders started.

4. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

Yep i think Spring 2016. Apple watch was almost a prototype. A good one but i think that Apple could have done more with it. It was a market test and i think that with the healthy sales this has shown Apple that there is a healthy market for watches. Apple will roll out V2 next spring with a lot of investment in tech updates.
    Don't wait though as I am just speculating. Apple Watch is great and i have no regrets about buying it.

5. JayLenochiniMac, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

An iPhone 3G/3GS/4 owner asked back in the day "Bigger screen, better battery, better camera?," but they didn't anticipate Siri in a future iPhone 4S.

An iPhone 4S/5 owner asked back in the day "Bigger screen, better battery, better camera?," but they didn't anticipate TouchID in a future iPhone 5s.

An iPhone 5s/6/6+ owner asked back in the day "Come on, what else could they possibly add, now that we have everything?," but they didn't anticipate 3D Touch in a future iPhone 6s/6s+.

A future AW will have a new feature that nobody can anticipate right now.

6. Michael/O macrumors member

Michael/O

If you're sure to be disappointed due to the next models inevitable improvements.. don't bother. I'm still in my return window and really enjoy the watch right now. The only thing that would bother me is a price drop for the holidays.

7. erasr macrumors 6502

I'm honestly not sure there will be one in spring. It's like an iPad - why would someone want to update theirs every year?

I think apple have learnt from over doing the iPad updates. Considering lots of people also didn't get theirs until June/July...

8. Mr.C macrumors 601

I really doubt there will be a new model next year at least not until the end of the year. It's more likely we will see a new one in 2017. I think there are fewer improvements you can make to a watch at least those which hare technically viable as well as being practical. Adding more features and making the watch more complicated could be detrimental to the battery life and I think they will need to try and improve on that before they can introduce any other features. They've also introduced "new" models already in the form of the gold Sport models and the Hermes special edition.

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It's quite possible whatever this is to make its debut. It looks like some kind of smart band. Apple holds the patent.

upload_2015-9-28_15-25-15.png