Safe to buy regular MBP now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sneak3, Jun 11, 2013.

  1. sneak3, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013

    sneak3 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2011
    #1
    Hello!

    I need a regular macbook pro for 3d and animation. I like the antiglare option and the 2nd hdd. I was hoping for the lineup to get updated but unfortunately, nothing's happened.

    I have to buy one by the end of July, HAVE TO. No other way.

    So, do you guys think anything new related to regular MBP may still show up? Or it's probably happen in october? or maybe apple will forget about nMBP?
     
  2. scarred macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2011
    #2
    You can look at the new MBA as hint to what is in store for the next MBP. Performance of the new gen is about the same (might be a little faster here and there), but the battery lasts a heck of a lot longer (almost twice as long). 802.11AC was also added, which would be nice to have.

    Tough call. If you need one you need one, though. Else, I'd certainly be waiting until the fall.
     
  3. skippymac macrumors 6502a

    skippymac

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2010
    Location:
    Hampshire, UK
    #3
    It's not safe. You will probably die.


    All jokes aside, I'm doubtful if there will be updates, but if you really want to wait, the worst that could happen is they'll discontinue the standard MBPs. In that case ou'll most likely be able to one available somewhere, but it could be difficult to get one with custom specs like an antiglare screen.

    EDIT: P.S. rMBP is generally taken to refer to "retina MBP" not "regular MBP".
     
  4. Grohowiak macrumors member

    Grohowiak

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2012
    #4
    I bought one from refurbished store for $1599.
    Mostly for Maya and Unity3D when I'm on the go.
    Nothing beats this price considering it has full Apple warranty.
     
  5. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

    Krazy Bill

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2011
    #5
    Before August? No.
     
  6. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2011
    #6
    Damn..I know that i risk ending up without a mbp if apple stops making it but at the same time it kills me to know that im buying an already "old" notebook
     
  7. sarakn macrumors 6502a

    sarakn

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2013
    #7
    After being burned yesterday, don't even bother asking what people think about apple's release. They simply don't know and will not know until when Apple makes it known.

    If you want the current system now, buy now. If you can wait a few weeks, go ahead and do it.

    No matter what, there will not be a shortage of cMBPs. There will always be someone looking to buy the new ones because 'it's only $200 more' and that means you'll have something to buy.
     
  8. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

    pgiguere1

    Joined:
    May 28, 2009
    Location:
    Montreal, Canada
    #8
    My guess is they won't ever update cMBPs again, but who knows.

    If you want to save some money I'd suggest looking at refurbs, they're like new and the latest cMBP models are in stock too. For example the latest 15" cMBP is only $1,449.00. No anti-glare option though.

    http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro
     
  9. Budiosx macrumors regular

    Budiosx

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2012
    #9
    I bought cMbp hight end model in great sale last month as i want to customize it when i need more performance.
    Also it has strong form factor than the retina and also there is glass on the screen to protect it as you know retina screen is so expensive and i can't make sure i will take care of it.
    So buy what you are convinced.
     
  10. xPurpleblob macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2011
    #10

    greatest bs justification i ever heard, i understand the sale but glass on the screen? lol
     
  11. Blue604 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2012
    #11
    After seeing NO Haswell rmbp announced on WWDC, I would tell you don't trust the people who give you advice on here.:D
     
  12. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2011
    #12
    What do you mean? I think predictions are different from advices. Am I wrong?
     
  13. dusk007 macrumors 68040

    dusk007

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2009
    #13
    If you had listen to me or all those with some more clue, you'd have read that barely anybody believed an update at WWDC. I always said it would really surprise me if it happened.

    There is the Haswell USB 3.0 bug. The shortage of chips as Intel themselves admitted until the second stepping is out. Generally everything the rumor mill spit out about Haswell said that there will not be a high volume product like a MBP quickly after release. The people that believed differently are those who just repeated the daydreams of other people long enough until they believed them themselves. They never bothered to look at some available facts.
     
  14. bkribbs macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2012
    #14
    I can atest that while the FP seemed to show there would be a refresh (along with many rumors) KGI whatever his name is as well as commenters in the update thread all agreed there probably would NOT be an update. When I watched the keynote I was aware chances were it wouldn't happen.
     
  15. MCAsan macrumors 601

    MCAsan

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2012
    Location:
    Atlanta
    #15
    i will be surprised if there is an non-retina MBP next year. So get one while you can.
     
  16. GermanyChris macrumors 601

    GermanyChris

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2011
    Location:
    Here
    #16
    If you buy it now Apple thugs will come cut your hand off I wouldn't do it!!

    ==========================================

    Buy a desktop and some crappy whatever to carry with you..

    Seriously. the wants to do 3d animation and you recommend the light slowest computer in Apple's line?
     
  17. Budiosx macrumors regular

    Budiosx

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2012
    #17
    I mean there is additional layer of glass on top of screen it self but in retina there isn't .
     
  18. ValSalva macrumors 68040

    ValSalva

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2009
    Location:
    Burpelson AFB
    #18
    I think they might keep the cMBP around for another year but one thing seems almost certain: Apple is not going to update it. The cMBP's are not going to get Haswell.
     

Share This Page