Safe to buy SSD from Amazon Warehouse?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DaveTheRave, Jan 30, 2014.

1. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

They have some used for a decent price. Anyone have any experience with this, or a reason to avoid it? Thanks.

2. Spinnetti macrumors regular

SSD's wear out having a limited number of R/W cycles... I wouldn't do it.. .buy new or wait for lower prices that undoubtedly occur I'd say. I have one and a new top of the line imac, but 99% of the time it makes zero difference that I can really notice over the later 2009 machine I replaced. The tech upgrade treadmill is overrated

3. Bear macrumors G3

Sometimes the used in open box items taht were returned. And if was returned for for a reason, you might be getting someone elses problem.

Also, some people sell used gear and mark it in a better condition than it is in.

4. sahni130 macrumors 6502

sahni130

I bought a Samsung 830 SSD from (in my sig), it was and still is running great, absolutely no problems. Mine did come formatted for PC but that's a quick and simple fix via Disk Utility. The box was opened, but had all the books, etc. Plus, Amazon has a great customer service department, so there's really no reason to worry. You could write tens of gigabytes a day to most SSDs without degrading them. Go for it!

5. locust76 macrumors 6502a

If you do the math, with wear-levelling algorithms built into the controllers and average usage, a typical SSD won't run into cell wear problems for a few decades.

http://ef.gy/statistics:ssd-write-endurance

According to the above calculations, a 256GB SSD that's being written to (reading is no problem, just erase/write) at full speed every second of every day will last 430 days if the memory cells have a lifecycle of 100,000 writes. That stretches out to almost 12 years if the cells have a lifecycle of 1,000,000 writes.

Seeing's how most people don't overwrite their entire hard drive once every six minutes all day long, I think your average SSD will be serviceable far longer than it's practical lifespan (because in 5 years 256 GB just ain't gonna cut it and the 1 TB models will probably cost 50 bucks at Wal Mart).