Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tom2847

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
Is it safe to change icons through SSH without using Winterboard?

I want to edit certain icons and know how but I have been reading it's not safe, eventually will cause problems and all this. My brother did it on his iPhone and seems fine but I would like to make sure.

tom2847

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
I am not using Winterboard on my phone. It goes into safe mode, slows phone down, uses battery.

SSHing icons and everything is the best way. Wanna know if it's safe. Anyone?

tom2847

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
I always back it up. So other than that, this shouldn't be a problem just replacing the pngs?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I always back it up. So other than that, this shouldn't be a problem just replacing the pngs?

Well, Apple has changed some artwork, now located in a central file called UiImages.

Much harder to modify than previous firmware versions, but it can be done. There is some info already available on the Internet about how to modify these parts of the firmware.

Then other images are still where they were with 3.x.x firmware versions.

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Just saying, Winterboard really does not have all these negative effects people try to claim it does.

That said, there will be no problems manually replacing the files, it will just be a P.I.T.A. should you ever choose to want to change them back/change them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.