Safe to change icons w/o Winterboard?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tom2847, Aug 28, 2010.

1. tom2847 macrumors regular

Is it safe to change icons through SSH without using Winterboard?

I want to edit certain icons and know how but I have been reading it's not safe, eventually will cause problems and all this. My brother did it on his iPhone and seems fine but I would like to make sure.

2. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

Is it easy to just add a folder to a winterboard theme with a new icon?

3. tom2847 thread starter macrumors regular

I am not using Winterboard on my phone. It goes into safe mode, slows phone down, uses battery.

SSHing icons and everything is the best way. Wanna know if it's safe. Anyone?

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Just remember to back up all the stuff before you overwrite it (in case you ever need to go back to original)

5. tom2847 thread starter macrumors regular

I always back it up. So other than that, this shouldn't be a problem just replacing the pngs?

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Well, Apple has changed some artwork, now located in a central file called UiImages.

Much harder to modify than previous firmware versions, but it can be done. There is some info already available on the Internet about how to modify these parts of the firmware.

Then other images are still where they were with 3.x.x firmware versions.

7. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

Just saying, Winterboard really does not have all these negative effects people try to claim it does.

That said, there will be no problems manually replacing the files, it will just be a P.I.T.A. should you ever choose to want to change them back/change them.