Safe to delete iPhoto library file?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ramparts, Aug 3, 2010.

1. ramparts macrumors regular

I have all my photos in folders, and I guess I must have imported some of them into iPhoto a while back because I just found a 2 GB "iPhoto Library" file. I don't actually use iPhoto at all, so I'd much rather use the 2 GB for something I actually use :) If I deleted that file, is there a chance I'd lose actual photos? All the photos are still located in the original folders, not any special iPhoto folders.

2. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

That contains all of your iPhoto photos. I wouldn't delete it, but check out this option instead: (see picture below)

Attached Files:

3. ramparts thread starter macrumors regular

Well that's unbelievably stupid. Find this obscure preference in the "advanced" tab, or have your entirely photo library unnecessarily duplicated. Thanks, Apple. Good "feature." Anyway, of course I had that on, but as far as I can tell these photos are duplicates - the ones in my iPhoto library are also in the original folders. So if I deleted the iPhoto library I couldn't possibly delete the originals... could I?

4. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

No, they are entirely separate. All the photos you see in iPhoto are in that iPhoto Library file.

5. ramparts thread starter macrumors regular