Safe to Delete VAR Folder?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by John Doe 57, Feb 13, 2010.

1. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

I have done some searching, but haven't really gotten a straight answer. In my Private Folder is a Folder entitled "var." It is 4.6GB in size and I was wondering if it is safe to delete it.

2. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

DO NOT DELETE - it's part of the underpinnings of Unix.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No, don't delete, unless you want this:

aptitude.jpg

Then you can have all sorts of fun. :)

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I had a strong feeling that you stumbled upon /var or /private this way.

5. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Why are you even considering deleting random folders? Get an external disk or upgrade to a larger internal, if disk space is the issue. Or, if you are just a tidy sort of person, and cant bear to have a file or two you dont need, stop fiddling or one day you'll delete something and regret it big time.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

One of the worst mistakes is to simply start deleting folders when you don't know what they are for. The next worst is to go off and monkey around with permissions on a global level, which easily leads to an unbootable system.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yeah, we had a member the other day change all permissions to read/write. I don't know if she ever got that fixed. Crazy stuff. At least look on the internet to see if what you are going to do is going to cause catastrophe.

8. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Which to give credit to the OP they did do, but once you have a couple of successful experiences doing this, its only a matter of time before you get over confident and all of a sudden your Mac sto

9. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

You're making assumptions without even knowing who I am. I clean my hard drive every 6 months or so. In this clean up, I delete my Cache Folder, a folder that I believe many Mac users don't even know about. I was just WONDERING if it was safe to delete the var folder and clearly it isn't. And I have 2 external hard drives. I'm not trying to be mean and don't think you were either but I'm just saying.

10. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Fair enough but bear in mind the common profile here of a new poster appearing with "I deleted X folder" or "I changed permissions on Y" ...and then a tale of woe :eek:

But if you have additional background info, about knowing what you are doing, then perhaps a good idea to post it ? ( Plus, even if you know what you are doing, maybe the next person doesn't, answers can be useful for who else might read the thread and not just the OP. )

And I'll still ask the question, why are you looking to delete stuff? Is it because you are low on space? Seems not. Then what are you accomplishing? AFAIK deleting the cache wont speed anything up except the odd backup (and then by a minute amount) and will likely slow thinsg down initially.

Plus, you may have been deleting the cache folder, but seems you are looking to branch out to other areas for 'tidying' now? :D

11. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

No I was just looking to delete folders and files for the hell of it.

Conversation ended.