Safe to delete?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by juanlacueva, Feb 8, 2012.

1. juanlacueva macrumors newbie

I'm doing some hard disk cleanup and with Disk Inventory (great app) I found this file

/private/var/folders/VJ//**some-27-chars-code-here/com.apple.adc.documentation.AppleSnowLeopard.CoreReference.xar which weights 490.5MB

It may not be much but for what I can see it's just a documentation file... and almost 500MB in documentation I won't read is a waste of space.

Is this file safe to remove? I tried searching other places but I found nothing related

Thanks

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Have you ever had a beta build on it?

That file is an Apple Developer Connection compressed reference library file used in Xcode.

3. juanlacueva thread starter macrumors newbie

Beta of what?

oh, I forgot, I'm using Snow Leopard 10.6.8, not Lion
    I used to have Xcode installed which dowloaded lots of documentation but I don't know if this is part of that or it's part of SL and I should keep it

----------

so it's safe to remove? if I later re-install Xcode it won't affect it?

thanks

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Beta of any version of OSX or Xcode.

I looked around to see if I could find that specific file and couldn't find one.

You must have had Xcode installed at some point. Or you are looking in folders that look like this in which case I wouldn't mess with them. They are meant to be no access for a reason.

If you later re-install it you will need to re-download the reference library for Snow Leopard.

Attached Files:

5. juanlacueva thread starter macrumors newbie

I first thought betas of OSX but now I recall installing a beta of Xcode. I'll move it to an external drive and keep it there just in case.

Thanks