Safe to "Dishwasher" Wireless Keyboard?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NickD, Jul 19, 2007.

1. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

I've heard a lot about cleaning out keyboards by putting them in the dishwasher and then leaving them to dry, and have wanted to do it with my Logitech S530 keyboard sometime, but I'm a little wary due to the fact that the keyboard is wireless, and therefore has electronic components and battery compartments.

Would it be safe to put this keyboard in a dishwasher?

2. sfisher macrumors regular

I would not stick any keyboard in a dishwasher, not even a wired one, since they too have electronic components.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

OH DEAR GOD!!! have u been reading CNET>!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

btw can u take the keys off the wireless apple keyboard??? i want to try but aint game

4. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

Yeah. I probably won't.

And DoFoT9: You can take em' off the wired, so there shouldn't be any difference with the wireless . . . unless I'm missing something?

NickD

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

6. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

I have heard this works for the older keyboards, but they were built like tanks. Do a search on Lowendmac.com. But yeah, I wouldn't suggest on any newer, especially wireless boards. Most I don't even believe stand up to typing on.

7. Zweben macrumors member

Zweben

I tried washing my Apple keyboard thorougly in the sink after spilling soda on it. (Several letter keys stopped working so I had nothing to lose)

I let it dry for several days and it's still not working, so I don't think it's going to recover.

I wouldn't recommend doing it unless important keys have already stopped working.