Safe to enter credit card info on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jshelton, Aug 21, 2009.

1. jshelton macrumors 6502a

I use an application called Flixster to view movie info. Is it safe to purchase tickets through the app by entering your credit card info. I assume it is, or they wouldn't be able to offer that option. I just want to make sure first though.

Thanks.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That is a good question and I am sure it's been discussed before because it's a logical one. I have done it over 3G and my Wifi. I've never done it over some unsecured WIFI though. I'd say on my secure WIFI, yeah. Over 3G, I'm going to be honest and say I don't know. I haven't bought a movie yet (I have that app for that purpose) but I have checked in for flights, shopped and bought things on eBay (on a plane while waiting to take off), and looked at my bank accounts.

I don't have an answer, sorry, but I think it's a good question.

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

3G no problem
    If the app is using https then no problem on wifi.
    The problem is figuring out the protocol the app uses.

By no problem, I mean equal security as doing it on a computer.

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Precisely. I think before I did that I'd contact flixter and ask.

5. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

Once it brings up the CC form, it isn't actually a website through the browser like I thought it would be. It is still within the app itself. I checked one of my secure payment sites though the mobile browser a few days ago, and it actually had the lock icon at the top of the page ensuring that it was secure. Flixster doesn't.

6. iOrlando macrumors 68000

my general take is: if someone really wants your info, they will find a way to get it.

all other precautions are taken so that metaphorically, your information isn't lying face up on a busy sidewalk.

7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I've done it.

I had no worries. I've had no reason to worry.

Its safe if you look out for the right things.

8. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I can enter this info without any worries?

Attached Files:

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

How should we know whether that app uses a secure data protocol? Only the developer can tell you that, and then you still have to trust that s/he is telling the truth and has implemented it correctly. In the end, it's up to you to decide whether to trust an app; and nothing anyone here says can take the responsibility from you if you're wrong.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The general answer is that paying from an iPhone can be safe if the people running it do it right.

The question is: Do you trust this company? Are they a large organization or just one guy named "Stan?"

So I look at the company. Is this a large company that I would feel comfortable calling on the phone and giving my info that way? If so, then I don't see the app any differently than just talking to them on the phone.

So don't worry about the iPhone or the app...worry about the place the info is going. If you trust them in real life then you should be fine on the iPhone.

11. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well no s**t. I just thought someone might be familiar with the app and how safe or unsafe the iPhone is for personal info.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I agree with what you say but isn't the approval process supposed to weed out apps that aren't secure?

13. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

I know for a fact that the 3G connection is secure. AT&T has advertised and printed numerous times that the 3G connection is highly encrypted and safe. I have no problems there. Where I do have a problem is the merchant. Make sure the App that you are buying from is a trusted merchant. At the same time, if your credit card says you are not liable for fraud, then you have nothing to lose.

Another issue that arises is the security of the internet connection between AT&T and the merchant - is it security encrypted?