Safe to give iMac Serial Number to buyer?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AndrewMRiv, Dec 4, 2014.

1. AndrewMRiv macrumors regular

AndrewMRiv

I am selling my iMac 27 (Late 2013) that is almost a year old on eBay. A potential buyer wanted to know if it was still possible to buy extended Apple Care on it and that is possible until December 9th. My auction ends in 2 days on December 6th so it would be unlikely for the buyer to be able to receive it in time to get the Serial Number in time.

Would it be dangerous for me to remove the iMac from my Support Profile and send the Serial number to the buyer after getting a purchase and on the day that I ship it? Would it be fine since I put "no refunds" on my auction?

I want to do what I can for the buyer but I also of course do not want to possibly get screwed over.

What would you recommend?

Thank you.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it's safe to give the serial number, so the buyer can check warranty status and to check to see if it's a stolen device. Revealing the serial number does not compromise your privacy at all. If you can receive payment in time, the buyer can purchase AppleCare on the unit before they receive it. It doesn't matter if the Mac appears on your Apple support profile. AppleCare follows the machine, not the owner.