Safe to install iOS 7 on primary iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by icing, Jul 30, 2013.

1. icing macrumors member

Hi everyone,

Just wanted your opinions on whether it's safe to install iOS 7 on my primary iPhone?

I've been running beta 1-4 on my iPad mini, and it's been running great since beta 2.

Deal breakers would be iCloud restore not working properly and things like phone calls hanging up. An occasional reboot is okay, but loss of data and missed calls/messages would not be.

Now, some of you may be tempted to say "It's a beta, man! Wait for the GM". That's a fair point to make. But I'm more interested to know, whether it runs fine for everyday use, so that I can start playing around with it.

I'm on an iPhone 5, by the way.

On the app failure list Plants vs Zombies 2 is a big thumbs down! :D

2. Jab00 macrumors regular

yes it runs fine. I have been running it on my daily phone since b1 and have been more than happy with this last update

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

Same here.

4. Will2145 macrumors 6502

Will2145

Been using iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 since beta 1. No problems for me

5. Stupotpot macrumors 6502

Stupotpot

snap...occasional bugs but #nowtmajor

6. aldoF macrumors regular

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I've been using iOS 7 since beta 1 so I may not be the best person to answer BUT beta 4 runs incredibly well. It's not perfect yet but it's definitely usable day-to-day. There are minor bugs at this point. Nothing show stopping on the iPhone 5 at least.

I can't speak to Plants vs. Zombies 2 working though as I don't have it.

8. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

So far Beta 4 is running great. Sure it has its blips here and there, but its a beta what do you expect? I'd say if you really want to use it daily, I say go for it.

9. ajay96 macrumors 6502

10. pssmith84 macrumors regular

I've been using iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 since the day it was released. Besides during Beta 2, it's been very stable for me. So I'd say yes.

11. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

It's definitely stable enough for your main phone.

12. Nanasaki macrumors 6502

Nanasaki

What all these go ahead install replies?

Yes, iOS 7 is stable enough to run in your primary iPhone. BUT no body motioning there are LOTS of app simply don't run well on iOS 7.

At least, Google Plus, Skype, PvZ simple crash on me. Lots of App has glitches or some functionalities don't work.

So, it is safe to install iOS 7 on your primary iPhone? Depends on your need. If you just going for whatever iOS 7 stock offers you, then go ahead. If you are going to use some other apps, make sure they work on iOS 7. Otherwise, it will be terrible experience.

13. KUPARA macrumors regular

KUPARA

I have it... no bugs for now, except Skype crashing out on me once

14. ajay96 macrumors 6502

So other than that, it runs fairly smooth?

15. KUPARA macrumors regular

KUPARA

Yeah, animations are a breeze and no crashed calls

16. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

Agreed. There are some apps that dont work, but depends if you dont use them a lot. For example Skype (chat) doesnt work on iOS 7. Doesnt bother me since I rarely chat on Skype...or even video chat.

If you have no problem with a few of your apps being unusable, go ahead and install iOS 7. And have the satisfaction of saying this when you install hit the ok to install:

[​IMG]

17. ajay96 macrumors 6502

Ok, thanks. I'll probably try it out on my phone now.

18. Jab00 macrumors regular

Take your logic somewhere else... this is a reason free zone! :p

19. CopyChief macrumors regular

Yes, I'm running it on a 4S. It's fine... great, even. There are a few glitches but if you're willing to deal with those, you should be safe.

(Insert standard developer beta, non-critical devices only disclaimer here.)

20. johnseattle macrumors member

It depends. Had it on my iPhone since it came out. If you can deal with crashes, some apps not working and hit and miss notifications you should be fine.

21. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Bingo. OP you are the only one that can make the determination based on your deal-breakers. Someone who says it's OK may tolerate a bug that you can't.

With the parental advice out of the way. :D Make an iTunes or iCloud backup (or both) before you put the beta on. If iTunes make sure that a later backup on the beta does not overwrite it. As long as you have a good backup, try the beta and if you don't like it restore your backup. If you restore, unless something has changed with beta 4, you will lose everything from iOS 7 when you go back to iOS 6.

22. ajay96 macrumors 6502

Well I'm on it now, I don't really mind any small bugs because it's still a beta. Running pretty nice as of now.

23. Neitin macrumors newbie

Running fine

I started with Beta 3 which wasn't stable for my needs and so reverted back to iOS 6, am on Beta 4 which is more stable except for few bugs here and there, battery life appears to be improved over Beta 3. And yes it is on my primary phone :)