Safe to install on work computer?

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
753
133
Generally I update to the new OS pretty quickly, but with the AFS I'm mildly concerned and haven't been able to stay up on the updates and issues people are having. My main computer I also use for my job as a photographer and podcaster and I want to make sure I don't need to be concerned about installing it on there. I've read some issues with external drives. Are those widespread? Have they been solved? Should I be concerned? Should I wait more before I install? Help me out!
 

H2SO4

macrumors 601
Nov 4, 2008
4,351
3,750
I'm gonna say, No.
I as stupid enough to not wait until the X.X.1 release and my computer freezes due to maxxed out RAM and kernel task and iconservicesagent going crazy.
I wouldn't mind but the trouble with Apple upgrades is that once done the dependant libraries are not always compatible with previous releases.
 

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
753
133
I'm gonna say, No.
I as stupid enough to not wait until the X.X.1 release and my computer freezes due to maxxed out RAM and kernel task and iconservicesagent going crazy.
I wouldn't mind but the trouble with Apple upgrades is that once done the dependant libraries are not always compatible with previous releases.
That's kind of what I was thinking too. Think the .1 release will be safe?
 

370zulu

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2014
217
171
I've been testing it in a VM and am just too nervous to jump on it. I haven't seen anything personally on the VM that is stopping me. But, my latest bad experience jumping all in on iOS11 has taught me to wait.
 
  • Like
Reactions: jef82

Partron22

macrumors 68020
Apr 13, 2011
2,471
698
Yes
I've never waited long before, and I started back at System 1.0 in 84'.
This time it feels like waiting til 10.13.3 might be best plan.
-Tried it on an external. It's the compatibility issues with older machines, and all the bug reports that really make me hesitant. There's nothing new here that I cannot live without for at least few months.
 

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2004
778
109
Belgium
High Sierra needs to become less buggy before I install it. Until now I am happy with Sierra, El Capitan and even Yosemite on my Macs. I will read a lot on this valuable forum before I upgrade.
 

simonsi

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2014
4,849
716
Auckland
You are sensible to be concerned purely as it is your work machine, I'd suggest:

Take a backup
Create a test partition on your boot drive or an external drive
Load HS onto the test partition
See how it runs with <your> necessary apps for work. Other peoples issues with their software don't matter, on a revenue-earning machine it is your environment that matters.
You can also check the App websites for updates, as with new cameras some photo software may require an update after HS release, obviously you should wait for that update on any apps you must have working.

I'm on HS, running Capture 1 Pro, no issues with that or external drives, TM still works etc etc. Quite a stable release in my experience on 2 machines (2011 iMac and 2011MBP)
 

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2004
778
109
Belgium
Or read first what users post about HS on an equivalent of your own computer. It will save you a lot of time.;)
 
Last edited:

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
753
133
I have the 2017 MacBook Pro, so I’m assuming it should be pretty compatible. I don’t even know what’s new other than APFS though, so I guess no need to upgrade. Usually not this out of the loop, but Apple has underwhelmed recently.
 

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 68030
Jul 6, 2007
2,644
1,806
You never want to blindly install an OS upgrade into a work computer. Unless you like blowing deadlines and losing money that is. Get an external USB SSD and set up a test partition and test with that before installing to internal SSD.

With the ability to run multiple copies of the OS for no extra $$$ and install easily to external drive / VM file there is zero reason to screw up your currently operating production partition to what-if the latest release.

Heck, use Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) to clone a bootable backup of your current OS to an external drive, then upgrade the external partition to High Sierra so you can understand what will happen with the upgrade.
 

joefoong79

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2017
168
31
Always upgrade after 5 months release. OS X always something buggy. Hated the most sleep wake failure after upgrade