Safe to jailbreak factory unlocked iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by yoinkze, Jan 1, 2011.

1. yoinkze macrumors newbie

Greetings,

Am about to acquire a new factory unlocked iPhone 4 from Singapore, and wanted to check that it will be safe to jb it, with no danger of risking the baseband/factory carrier unlock.

I know for the moment it will still be tethered, as will likely ship with 4.2.1, but just for reference would be good to know that messing around with jailbreaking only, it won't hamper the phone's calling ability.

Have tried searching about here and elsewhere, and couldn't find a definitive answer.

Thank you then, and happy new year

2. CZK macrumors 6502a

Wait a couple of days until the untethered version comes out. You will avoid alot of troubles.

3. PLin macrumors 6502

I can't comment on 4.2.1, but I have an unlocked iPhone 4 from Canada, and I've jailbroken 4.0.2 and 4.1 without any problems. The baseband shouldn't be affected by a jailbreak unless you run ultrasn0w, which is pointless on a factory unlocked iPhone.

4. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

GO ahead, you have a lot less to worry about than the people that need to unlock.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

yep I'd maybe wait till the untethered jb comes out if you have 4.2.1 but other then that jb and enjoy. you don't ever have to worry about basebands like the rest of us!

6. Al3x87 macrumors member

Wait until the new method to jailbreak will be done.

7. yoinkze thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent, thank you for the advice, we have to pick up the unit when returning home next week, and will just wait for new jb version/method, and enjoy the factory unlock (a bit more expensive, but I thought better than playing around with unlock programmes, which could potentially brick the phone over time and updates).

Thanks again for the tips.

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's smart and if/when you go to sell it it'll go for quite a lot more than other locked phones and even ultrasn0w unlocked phones.

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

If it is a "real" factory unlock phone, you will have not issue at all. Exactly the same way locked phone stay lock after updates, jailbreak and anything, (factory) unlocked phone will stay that way as well