Safe to move harddrive to new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by caladan, Dec 12, 2010.

1. caladan macrumors newbie

Hi

I just bought a used macbook pro, 15" 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo, and I have previously been using a 13" macbook, on which I recently upgraded the hard drive. I'd like to pop that hard drive in my new MBP, since it is bigger, and has all my data on it, but I'm not sure if this is a safe thing to do - if there are hardware specific aspects of the OSX environment that will be unhappy in a new machine. I'm running OSX 10.6.4..

Thanks, you advice is appreciated!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

As long as the old hard drive is running the latest version of Mac OS X, then it should work just fine. Some settings, like screen saver and Airport settings, don't carry over. As they are only for the machine they where created on.

3. caladan thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ZenErik macrumors 6502

Is that really true? I would think that you could only swap the HDD into another computer with the same hardware. :confused:

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes its really true. The only things you need to watch out for are the minimum OS version for the different Macs and weather or not they are Intell/PPC.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

It's very true. I've used 2006-07 MBP installations on my Unibody. You can also boot a Mac Pro from a MB/MBP/etc installation.

7. ZenErik macrumors 6502

Good to know. Perhaps that is just a Windows thing. If it's even a Windows thing. I've never tried. :p

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Windows is horrible on several counts with respect to that kind of move. It'll BSOD if you try to swap certain compnents (which is understandable for certain types of hardware). If you DID manage to get it to boot, it'll bug you about activation x.x