Safe to Order Retina Now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by teqnic2009, Oct 5, 2012.

1. teqnic2009 macrumors newbie

For those of you who have ordered retinas and received them in the past few weeks, have they been relatively trouble free?

2. dipm06 macrumors member

I just received my rMBP today. I bought a 2.6/16/256 model, and no problems so far.

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

It's still the same computer, not sure what would change.

You have to either wait for a refresh or second generation. All of the first generation rMBPs will be the same, it doesn't matter if you bought it on day one or now, nothing has changed as far as how they are manufactured.

4. thedarkhorse, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012

thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

I just got mine 2 days ago, 2.6/16/256, no problems so far the screen is fantastic. I would have been a bit more apprehensive to get it though if I didn't have the extra year of purchase protection from VISA.

5. Tim9724 macrumors member

I just got mine on Monday 2.6/16/256 no problems.

6. EnderTW macrumors 6502

I got mine on Sunday, so far it's very good. I have LG screen but I haven't noticed any ghosting *knock on wood* so far. Absolutely love the screen, keep mine at 1680 res or the one right about best for retina, and it looks awesome.

7. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Well Amazon has the base model in stock again so I'm going to give it a try--just ordered for Saturday delivery.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Got mine Monday: 2.3/8g RAM/256/Samsung screen. Love it- absolutely love it. It's my desktop replacement, as I swore I would never buy another desktop from Apple. Looks like I won't ever need to again.

9. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

I think if you can hold off by end of December then you might see some trouble free RMBP's. Then that would be a good time to order one if you can wait. If you can wait even longer then hold off for the HASWELL RMPB's next year in June-August release....Just my two cents....

10. dowser81 macrumors newbie

rMBP is the Bollocks

All the comments you here of retina problems are a very small minority if you consider how many have been sold. Mines is flawless could not be happier a dream to work on.

11. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Both the wife and I have had zero problems with our BTO units that have been in service for many weeks.

If you are scared of new products, get Apple Care. You can get it from B&H for much less that Apple retail price.

12. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

As others have said there have been no revision changes, so it really does not matter

13. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

+1

14. Sammio2 macrumors regular

Sammio2

Machine I ordered a week or so ago did arrive with slight IR problems on an LG screen, so they haven't changed anything since launch. BUT you can only see the IR on a specific background and when you're actually looking for it.

15. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

yeah I've heard they stopped the retina order executions a while back - looks like you're good to go.

16. boto macrumors 6502

boto

Samsung 840 SSDs are releasing in mid-October and I'm not exactly sure if Apple will replace their 830s for the newer upgrade near the end of this year or not.

17. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

I am now waiting for my third, my last 2 have been damaged on arrival. One a bent chassis, the other scratched.

I have probably just been unlucky. Just make sure you give it a once over when it arrives.

18. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

The forums represent such a small minority man! I've had mine since the beginning of August. And it's been trouble free and just stunning 2.6/8/512GB:cool:

19. leenak macrumors 68020

I got mine one week after release an it's awesome :)

20. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Buy now; by far the vast majority of machines have no issue, remember on forums such as this, those with issue, those that believe they have been aggrieved and the "Haters" will by far make the most noise. If you search carefully you will find several poll`s that reflect this.

The Retina is not for all, however it is not a flawed product, if you dig into anything deep enough you will always find something that`s not 100% no Mac is perfect nor any other computer for that matter. Buy your Mac and enjoy it, use it as normal, don't get into performing an array of obscure tests that are completely out of your normal usage as the only result likely, is you will end up felling frustrated and unhappy over essentially a non event...

21. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Couldn't have said it better !!! :apple:

22. swordsmn macrumors newbie

This is not aimed at the OP,per se, just a follow-up +1 to the above.
    I was one of the worry worts who feared getting the wrong combo's of screen/drives etc when I bought my wife and then a daughter a 2011 MBA.
    It was pointless, they love the units, yet when it came time for ME to shop for a rMBP (I want 16G for VM's) I came to MacRumors again and wrung my hands about IR, screen I might get, etc etc.

Finally, the preponderance of the posts convinced my to "Let go Luke, trust the Force" and just enjoy the MAC.

I am not buying this as a F/T gaming box... If I wanted that, I think a liquid cooled tower would be slick etc etc. I am not (sadly) a Photoshop expert, altho as good as the retina IS, if I was a photoshop God, would I not require a bigger monitor?

I think the Retina is a darn good laptop & it better be for the 3K I'll be dropping to buy it. But it's not designed to be ultimate everything, nothing is.
    Use the tool & don't test it to death. Be nice to ur new friend :)

That said, would it not be cool if Apple placed Vendor codes for screen, drives & memory etc on an external label so if u were buying in store you could send the blue shirted helpers back to the stockroom till you got what satisfied the geekazoid in some of us?

23. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

I hope that this is TRUE but then again Apple just came out with the RMBP in June so not sure if they would do another upgrade so quickly hopefully by end of December 2012 they do...can't wait.... =)

24. rMacBookPro macrumors member

25. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Safe to Order Retina Now?

Absolutely NOT.. it will more than likely Explode.. :eek:

Maybe.. :rolleyes: