Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
When I order the 2010 MP next week, I was planning on setting up Time Capsule with it. To conserve space on my desk, I was just wondering if it might be safe to place the Time Capsule on top of the Mac Pro. On the record, I happen to own the latest generation TC, which definitely runs cooler than prior versions. Anyone think this might be a bad idea or should I not worry about this as much?

Also, the MP will have sufficient, more than adequate ventilation, as it will be placed under my desk, unobstructed by any closed quartered areas.

SuperJudge

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
The Triangle, NC
The only downside I can see to that plan is that it goes against the general advice regarding wireless routers: position it as high as you can. You might experience signal degradation if your place is large enough, but other than that, it shouldn't harm anything.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
The only downside I can see to that plan is that it goes against the general advice regarding wireless routers: position it as high as you can. You might experience signal degradation if your place is large enough, but other than that, it shouldn't harm anything.

Thanks. I didn't stop to think about the actual wireless signal strength. However, it is not too distant from if it was on top of the table, but the wood material of the table may affect it. Best to test how things run on both setups I suppose.

dhro1

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
I have a timecapsule sitting on top of my g5 power mac and connected to it by Ethernet. Fits nicely. The cables go neatly under the handle. It's been there a while with no problems at all.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
I have a timecapsule sitting on top of my g5 power mac and connected to it by Ethernet. Fits nicely. The cables go neatly under the handle. It's been there a while with no problems at all.

I have a Time Capsule on top of my Mac Pro for more than a year now. It has been working fine so far. No signal issue either.

Great! Thank you both for sharing your experiences on that. Glad to hear theres no issues. I appreciate everyone's help. :)

Major Reeves

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
EUSSR
Given that the mac pro case acts as a faraday cage and that the base of the time capsule is rubber padded, I don't see any problem.

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Hopefully the Time Capsule doesn't burn up. People have had heat issues with Time Capsules.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.