Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antdgar

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Hi,

My new hdd just arrived and I foolishly plugged it in without attaching the mount case.

I managed to remove the case with use of force and pliars. However, I then noticed rubber strips (possibly for shock absorbing?) on the left and right sides of the macbook had come out. I pushed them back in.

Well, now the drive goes in 95% of the way, and then doesn't go in any more...

I don't know what the problem is... The drive is supposed to fit the macbook (seagate momentus 7200rpm)

I can only think that the rubber may be blocking it or something (no pun intended), although now the rubber on the right side doesn't appear there. The rubber on the left remains.

any ideas?

EDIT: I used a flash-light and I can see that the rubber from the right side has fallen 'down'. Is it safe to remove all the rubber??

damnyooneek

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2005
its best to position the rubber pieces back where they belong. notice the rubber pieces have groves for the hd to position correctly without them might not be a good idea.

also, you might be putting the hd in upside down. the metal cover has to be facing you when you insert the hd into the slot. the reason why the rubber piece fell down is because the hd wasnt lined up with the groves on the rubber piece and it pushed the rubber piece in. thats what happened to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.