Safe to "Repair" my start up disk?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Zerozal, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Zerozal macrumors 6502

After using Carbon Copy Cloner to back up my drives, CCC reported errors on my start up disk. I ran "Verify Disk" in Disk Utility and sure enough, it recommended I restart and repair the disk using the Recovery HD (see attached screenshot).

Everything is working fine, so I'm a little apprehensive about doing this for fear of something getting deleted or borked. This is my main OS and Applications drive.

What do you think—should I do as instructed or continue business as usual?

Attached Files:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It is fine to repair your drive. Disk Utility will stop and warn you if it cannot repair the drive.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

Everything may seem to be working fine but you're at serious risk of data loss. Make sure that you have a backup, and then attempt to repair the drive with Disk Utility. You should not be surprised if Disk Utility fails to be able to repair the disk. Often, DU is unable to repair the most serious corruption and a tool like DiskWarrior is necessary. (or you reformat the disk and restore from backup.)

4. Zerozal thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the quick responses! As expected, it was unable to repair the drive. Looks like a format/reinstall is in the cards—I guess I can't complain too much, as I got almost 6 years out of a 10,000 rpm velociraptor.