safe to restore from backup to new iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by oakrrl, Jun 12, 2017.

1. oakrrl macrumors member

I've been limping along with a late 2009 iMac and am buying a new iMac now that they've (finally) been upgraded with T3 ports.
    The old iMac clearly has issues - frequent freezes with no clear pattern. Some files can't be opened or show corruption even though Disk Utility doesn't report any problems. I'm running Sierra but have some old apps/extensions/menu bar utilities which could be causing conflicts (tho no reports of clear conflicts)
    So although I have backup(s) for current iMac, I'm worried if I restore from Carbon Copy clone or Time Machine I'll also be installing problems on the new machine. I could manually re-install all my apps and licenses, preferences, etc. on the new machine (and docs through the Finder), but it will be a pain.
    Any suggestions? Clean machine manual set-up, or take chances on a restore (I'm leaning toward the former).

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is something you can do on the old Mac to help you decide. Hold the shift key at startup to boot to safe mode. That will stop all third party apps and utilities from running. If that fixes the issues with the old machine, then that tells you it is one of those utilities causing the problems. If safe mode does not help, that tells you it is likely some hardware issue, so you might be okay restoring to the new Mac.

3. oakrrl thread starter macrumors member

thanks, i'll give it a try