iPhone Safe to Restore iOS5 Backup to New iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by JonDigital, Sep 19, 2012.

1. JonDigital macrumors regular

JonDigital

I've owned every iteration of the iPhone and I am embarrassed I had to make this thread to ask this question. You would think I would know by now. Better safe than sorry.

The last backup I am planning on performing before I get my iPhone 5 is tonight which would be iOS 5.1.1. The reason is the buyer of my phone wants it kept on iOS5.

My question is when I get the new iPhone on Friday will it be safe to restore that new phone with the iOS5 backup I perform tonight to the cloud.

I thought about this and I can't see why this would be a problem but figured I would ask some experts in the community.

Is it also possible to setup the new phone as new and then login to your cloud account via Settings and then have it pull down all your info (contacts, calendars, apps, etc)?

Thanks in advance guys! Hopefully someone else finds this thread helpful as well.

2. KaiMac macrumors regular

KaiMac

I'm wondering the exact same thing. I don't want to mess with putting iOS6 on my iPhone 4 if I can avoid it.

3. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I'm doing the exact same thing.

I will be glad to let everyone know how it goes on Friday. I'm expecting no problems; most of the data in a backup is just app settings and data anyway.

I'm leaving my iPhone 4 on iOS 5 because 6 doesn't really bring much new to the table for the iPhone 4, and I have a feeling it will be more valuable to give a future buyer the choice rather than force them to get an iPhone 4 with iOS 6.

4. fins831 macrumors 6502a

I will be starting as new. I have been using backups since my 3GS and after my 4S debacle with battery life in the first 6 months, I started trying setting my phone up as new to stop the drain, and it worked for a short while.

My battery on my 4S still isn't great, but its gotten better, so when I upgrade to iOS6 and the iPhone 5, I will be bringing no bad memories along for the ride...no rogue setting, no nothing but my iOS5 backup will be brought to my iPhone 5....I don't even care if there is a 1 percent chance of it corrupting something or jumpstarting a new battery drain. I have all my major info saved to icloud, and the apps can be redownloaded, and I will spend 30 min re-arranging folders and apps.

My new iPhone 5 will get the special treatment...everything will be new, including my setup

5. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

An iCLoud backup only saves app data, home screen layout, music, vids, camera roll. IOS 6 vs IOS 5.1.1 has no difference. It is safe to perform an iCloud backup on the iPhone 5.

6. JonDigital thread starter macrumors regular

JonDigital

Thanks guys really appreciate the feedback and I am glad I am not the only one thinking about this. I agree with fins831. Should give this new phone extra special treatment especially after the battery fiasco of the 4S. From initial reports the new phones sounds like it has great battery life.