iPhone Safe to restore iPhone 5 with jailbroken backup?

Gonzox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
I had been wondering whether it's safe to restore my iPhone 5 from a jailbroken backup. I just sold my iPhone 4s and backed it up recently while it was jailbroken.

Has anyone successfully restored from a jailbroken backup on the iPhone 5 yet? Please let me know.

articulatefool

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
I did this too.

Had to re-setup some apps, but everything is functional.

Can't wait for the iPhone 5 Jailbreak!

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
If you're bringing it in to apple, set up as new. They can detect traces of your jb.
I had been wondering whether it's safe to restore my iPhone 5 from a jailbroken backup. I just sold my iPhone 4s and backed it up recently while it was jailbroken.

Has anyone successfully restored from a jailbroken backup on the iPhone 5 yet? Please let me know.

timmax

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
What if I uninstall all JB tweaks & apps from my ip4 then perform backup with iTunes, will my backup data cleaner?

Then when I receive my new ip5 and restore from the backup. Is this method safer?

seanwebb68

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
You would have to remove any plist files that are related to the jailbreak and packages and springboard plist for a start

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
You would have to remove any plist files that are related to the jailbreak and packages and springboard plist for a start
That is hardly workable.

Any suggestion how to get cleaner backup data?
Setup as new and sync your contacts and pics, reinstall your apps manually.
If you need your txt back there are some 3rd party programs which can backup and restore txt messages.

But actually i don't see the problem in leaving those few plist files on the phone, they don't take up any space. Apple only cares about the a change in the file structure, not the few plist files.
Also if service is needed, first restore and setup as new, NO trace wil be left if you turn it in like that

seanwebb68

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
I didn't say it was easy I was just saying what you would need to do if you were going to remove all jailbreak information from a iOS backup.

LandonDonovan

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
If the plists are modified by restoring from a JB backup, how exactly are the iOS 6-compatible tweaks not working?

leftyno9

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2009
Used a back up from a JB iPhone 4 to a new iPhone 5 through iCloud had no problems. If I want 1 tweak back its infifolders. Why the F do apple restrict the number of apps you can put in folders???!!

Gonzox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
It's a new phone with a new OS, take a little extra time to set it up as new.
You won't regret it.

I would do that, but the only problem is I will not have my contacts, photos, settings etc.