Safe to send back old Apple RAM?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by strausd, Oct 1, 2010.

1. strausd macrumors 68030

I bought more RAM from OWC, but am not sure if I should send back the original 1GB sticks or not. I remember hearing a story where someones Mac Pro had a problem and they either had to send it in or take it to the genius bar. And then they had to be given a new Mac Pro, but they didn't get the RAM back that they put in....

So would it be a bad idea to send back my old RAM?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Are you referring to the OWC's trade-in program? I wouldn't, they only give you 9$ per module so just keep them so you don't have to worry if you have to send it for a repair

3. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

How much are you getting for the 1GB sticks? Is 9 dollars per stick (?) really worth risking messing up your warranty? I would always keep all stock hardware in case Apple is being weird and claims your Mac has been 'tampered with'.

4. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

I kept mine just in case I ever need it for troubleshooting or warranty purposes.

5. dissolve macrumors 6502a

I kept one 1GB stick and sent back the other two ;)

After shipping costs, I only netted $15 but I wasn't going to use those sticks ever. I agree with the sentiments here that it's safe to take out any 3rd party additions when bringing it in for service.

6. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

Well I got 6 sticks, so that could be $54 right there.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You could send some of them but leave at least one for testing etc ;)

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you're wondering why people buy Apple RAM… it is so they don't have to deal with issues like this. Uptime is all they care about. Not the cost of a couple sticks of RAM.