Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

craigc_

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
I ordered a MBP on the 17th but I am leaving on the 27TH. So i doubt it would be here before I leave. I was wondering if it is safe to ship it to Canada? Is it worth it or would I be over charging myself due to customs? Anyway of getting around this? Thanks.

JCPH

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2007
Tannhäuser Gate
It's no secret, sending something up to Canada is not "cheap". Your best bet is to try to get it before you have to send it up to Canada but there is not much you can do to get around sending it to yourself up north. If you have family in the U.S., ask them to pick it up for you. Otherwise, you're going to have to pay a few more bucks.

Good Luck.

craigc_

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
It's no secret, sending something up to Canada is not "cheap". Your best bet is to try to get it before you have to send it up to Canada but there is not much you can do to get around sending it to yourself up north. If you have family in the U.S., ask them to pick it up for you. Otherwise, you're going to have to pay a few more bucks.

Good Luck.

Yeah the only problem is... I am going to be up there for a while. A long while. So i feel like shipping it is my only solution. If i do ship it, do you think they are keen on opening it and discovering the value is higher than i specified? Or is that too risky of a move? I went to the UPS website to get an estimate and they ask for a declared value as well as a customs value...any info on this? They also say final price does not include taxes or customs. It came to about $31 US. Thanks for the quick reply though and for the good luck... I'll need it.

JCPH

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2007
Tannhäuser Gate
I just checked out the UPS site. It's not going to be cheap. You are better off, though, properly declaring the package's value. You don't want a lot of trouble over a computer. I still think you're best option is to find someone you know/trust who lives in the U.S. and get them to hang onto it for you. That way you can take a quick day trip to go pick it up.

If you do end up shipping it, make sure all of the info and everything is correct. The value you declare may also have something to do with insurance. You don't want to lose you laptop and not get UPS to pay for the loses.

Good Luck, again.

craigc_

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Ok Thanks a lot. I think I might just get them to hang on to it and make a trip down there. Thanks again for looking into it for me. Take care.

JCPH

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2007
Tannhäuser Gate
I've noticed you got the MBP with a glossy screen. Do you like it (I assume you liked it on your MB)? I've always liked glossy screens but I will have a hard time deciding between that and matte when I get my MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.