Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bloodshadow64

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
I'm new here, so I'm not sure if this is the right section...anyway, the wire of the charger for my Mac got damaged quite a bit (probably by a mouse).

The question is, is it safe to use electrical tape on it? The rubbery coating has gotten destroyed, and the insulation inside is opened enough so that I can see the wire underneath. I'm on mobile for now, so please excuse the crummy pic.

(My warrenty is long gone, by the way, and I'm dead broke).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 2,724

Alimar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
New York State
I'm new here, so I'm not sure if this is the right section...anyway, the wire of the charger for my Mac got damaged quite a bit (probably by a mouse).

The question is, is it safe to use electrical tape on it? The rubbery coating has gotten destroyed, and the insulation inside is opened enough so that I can see the wire underneath. I'm on mobile for now, so please excuse the crummy pic.

(My warrenty is long gone, by the way, and I'm dead broke).

Although the outer shield is drstroyed, the inner wires appear to have insulation. If there is 'bare' wire showing, do not use the charger! If you can afford $5... Get some J-B Weld - Plastic Weld at Home Depot. I used it to fix a lightning cable. Simply mix the two parts together, and form fit around the cable. Three hours to dry like plastic. AGAIN: DO NOT USE IF BARE METAL WIRES ARE SHOWING! NOT EVEN WITH ELECTRICAL TAPE.

Attachments

• IMG_5512.JPG
    IMG_5512.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 4,029

bloodshadow64

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
Although the outer shield is drstroyed, the inner wires appear to have insulation. If there is 'bare' wire showing, do not use the charger! If you can afford $5... Get some J-B Weld - Plastic Weld at Home Depot. I used it to fix a lightning cable. Simply mix the two parts together, and form fit around the cable. Three hours to dry like plastic. AGAIN: DO NOT USE IF BARE METAL WIRES ARE SHOWING! NOT EVEN WITH ELECTRICAL TAPE.

Thanks, I'll try to scrounge $5 together. The charger's unplugged and not being used. But the Plastic Weld is completely safe and insulated, right?

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
First off, the disclaimer: Tinker at your own risk. Damaged wires prevent a fire hazard, and also run the risk of damaging your machine. Proceed carefully and keep an eye on the damaged portion of your cable. It's best to replace the charger as soon as you can, and use the damaged charger as little as possible as a backup.

Over the years, I've had issues with chargers, and have taped them with some success to keep them going for a little while. However, it is just putting off the inevitable. Eventually the wire will become damaged to the point where it no longer connects reliably.

Apple has always tried to strike a balance between stress relief and flexibility of the cables, and in my opinion, has never gotten it right, and I typically need to buy an extra adapter over the lifetime of the laptop, and I try to keep as little stress as I can on the ends of the cable.

In your case, if the charger is still working for you, I would wrap a thin layer of electrical tape. Then add a layer of strapping tape (with the fiberglass fibers embedded in it) with the fibers running longitudinally to add a bit of stiffness, and finally cover with another layer of electrical tape. The end result will not be pretty, but it should help keep you going for a short time until you can afford to replace the charger.

bloodshadow64

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
First off, the disclaimer: Tinker at your own risk. Damaged wires prevent a fire hazard, and also run the risk of damaging your machine. Proceed carefully and keep an eye on the damaged portion of your cable. It's best to replace the charger as soon as you can, and use the damaged charger as little as possible as a backup.

Over the years, I've had issues with chargers, and have taped them with some success to keep them going for a little while. However, it is just putting off the inevitable. Eventually the wire will become damaged to the point where it no longer connects reliably.

Apple has always tried to strike a balance between stress relief and flexibility of the cables, and in my opinion, has never gotten it right, and I typically need to buy an extra adapter over the lifetime of the laptop, and I try to keep as little stress as I can on the ends of the cable.

In your case, if the charger is still working for you, I would wrap a thin layer of electrical tape. Then add a layer of strapping tape (with the fiberglass fibers embedded in it) with the fibers running longitudinally to add a bit of stiffness, and finally cover with another layer of electrical tape. The end result will not be pretty, but it should help keep you going for a short time until you can afford to replace the charger.

Would that be safe even with the inner wire exposed? (Again, bad pic due to mobile) The wire is visible through the inner insulation.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 741

Alimar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
New York State
Thanks, I'll try to scrounge $5 together. The charger's unplugged and not being used. But the Plastic Weld is completely safe and insulated, right?

Yes, it is safe... but from your description, you state the inner insulation is stripped, too. If so, they may cross, creating a short in the electrical. Be careful!

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
If I recall, the inner wires are setup coaxially, and from the outside in, you have the outer insulation, wire strands wrapped around an inner insulation layer and finally an inner wire. I believe that you are only seeing that outer layer of wire, and as long as it isn't significantly damaged and/or the inner wire exposed, you will be okay.

Tape it up, test it, and keep an eye on it. In fact, I'm currently running on a backup charger on my desk that needs a little support to remain in the proper position to stay connected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.