Safe to tell someone my mac's serial number?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jellybean, Oct 14, 2007.

1. jellybean macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I'm selling a mac on ebay, and someone has messaged me asking for its serial number. Is it safe to give the serial number to someone? (I can't quite think why it wouldn't be, but you never know...) What could they possibly use this for?

Thanks

2. docprego macrumors 65816

Depending on the model there have been repair extension programs initiated by Apple that only machines with certain serial numbers are eligible for. I am not saying one way or the other if it is advisable to give out your Mac's serial number but this is one reason why someone might ask for it. Affected models have been the eMac G4, iMac G5, and the Power Mac G5 along with several different notebooks. Have a look for yourself:

http://www.apple.com/support/exchange_repair/

3. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

you can enter the serial number at the warranty page to see if its still eligible for repair

4. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

I think it's safe to give out. They probably just want to ensure that:

a) the item actually exists
    b) that it isn't stolen

5. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

It's not like they can actually do anything bad with the serial number. Even if they declared it stolen if you have the receipt then it would prove it was yours. Plus I am sure Apple has a record of who bought the computer and who it is registered to.

6. gallagb macrumors 6502

gallagb

i've done it and asked for that info
    i've even asked for specific screen shots
    showing exactly how much RAM, which video cards...etc

people do it
    it's totally safe

7. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I would only release it to eBay users with a substantial amount of feedback. The only thing potentially harmful they could do would be to order user installable parts from Apple's Web site (if the unit's under warranty). However, they would have to put up a credit card number and their shipping address.