Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sti-R

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
I have the latest Mac OSX V 10.6.6 and I currently have NTFS for mac installed in my Macbook pro. Somewhere down the line when apple updated the OS, I have heard that NTFS is now supported. Does this mean that NTFS For Mac is now obsolete? I use an external HD with an NTFS partition that I use everyday.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have the latest Mac OSX V 10.6.6 and I currently have NTFS for mac installed in my Macbook pro. Somewhere down the line when apple updated the OS, I have heard that NTFS is now supported. Does this mean that NTFS For Mac is now obsolete? I use an external HD with an NTFS partition that I use everyday.
Keep NTFS-3G. NTFS has been available in SL before 10.6.6, but many have had problems when they enable it.

NTFS (Windows NT File System)

• Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
  • To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X: Install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free)
  • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx 33USD).
    [*]Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB

Sti-R

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Thanks for your guys suggestions. I guess Ill keep the software installed :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.