Safe to Upgrade hard drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by warstomp, Oct 30, 2009.

1. warstomp macrumors member

i was wondering if it was safe to upgrade my mbp's hard drive, ive been searching around but i havent really seen a definitive answer on the matter. I know some people have the EFI problem and some don't. I know my mac has the update and stuff. I guess its a gamble?

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

which MBP?

Its safe to do any of them, but some are far, far more difficult than others...

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

It would help to know the specs of the machine, but in reality there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

4. Forum-User macrumors newbie

Be aware of power usage on new drive

I recently upgraded the hard drives on both an older and newer MacBook with no issues. The Apple support web site has DIY pages to walk you through the process of removing and installing the hard drive for your specific model. I used Carbon Copy Cloner to duplicate the existing drive to the new drive using a cheap USB to SATA adapter, then swapped the drives. Choose a hard drive with similar power requirements of your existing drive, so you don't adversely affect your battery life. I used the Fujitsu 500 GB (5400 RPM), which uses less power than their 320 GB drive.

5. warstomp thread starter macrumors member

well what i mean isnt really the actualy phyiscal part of doing it because its a new mbp so it is really easy, moreover i was talking about the whole issue that with EFI 1.7 aftermarket hard drives are really slow and stuff

6. bigdaddyp macrumors regular

Firmware update

I believe that there was a recent firmware update to address that. If I am wrong then I am sure I will be corrected. If you are worried then avoid disks with built in sudden stop sensors as that was causing a conflict with the sudden stop system built into the laptop. I believe that is what was causing slow performance. I know of no other current issue, but again if I am wrong I will be corrected in a matter of moments.

7. bigdaddyp macrumors regular

I forgot to mention...

I forgot to mention to buy a retail package not an oem (bare) drive. Most but not all drives sold on newegg and owc are bare drives that have no retail packaging, instructions or cables and are usually 10-20 % cheaper. The problem is that ups must play hockey or something with them because I have had a a fair amount of DOA when ordering the Oem style. Just thought I would mention my experience, but to clarify I still love newegg and owc.

8. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Newegg wraps their OEM drives better than the retail drives are packaged. The courier literally could play hockey with them with no ill effects as far as I'm concerned.

I've never bought anything but an OEM drive and have never had to return one.

YMMV

9. bigdaddyp macrumors regular

I realise that every ones experience will vary, but the ones that I received were in a box with one layer of bubble wrap wrapped around the drive. The retail ones I have received were in a retail box, suspended in the middle by about an inch of airspace and the box was wrapped with bubble wrap and then placed in a generic box.

I have had 3 out of 7 that I ordered oem arive DOA or were working but dyeing right out of the bubble wrap. Again I understand that everyone will have a different experience but with a a little searching I can usually find a retail drive for the same price as a oem. To me its not worth the risk becasue if I am ordering a new drive its because I usually need it now.

10. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

its totally a non-issue, nothing to worry about

What drive were you looking at getting? How big?

WD Black drives are my choice...