Safe to upgrade OS?????

Discussion in 'macOS' started by WiArcher, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WiArcher macrumors newbie

I was having problems with Incorrect Valance error message, ran my utilities' repair as advised, (Thanks- seems to be working fine for a bit)- I noticed that my PowerPC G4 shows the OS as 10.3.9. Went to look at the disk that came with my Mac that I carry in my case- It says it's Version 10.4.2. Should I try to install this on my Hard drive? If I do, will it cause me any problems/will I lose anything? Not sure how to do it right, would appreciate directions/advice. I have moved not that long ago, and almost all of my stuff is still boxed up, so no back up drive to mirror my drive to. I can't remember if I had to install the OS on my Mac when I bought it in '05 or not, but the disk that has the OS says it contains a later OS version than what my mac's "About this Mac" states- I'm confused. Would appreciate good advice on how-to, what to do/NOT do- As always, appreciate the help in advance! :)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Count yourself lucky, someone has this confusion too and even got some answers:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=877759&highlight=

All Macs bought first hand come with the OS preloaded.

In 2005, April 29th, Mac OS X 10.4 was released. So maybe you bought a Mac with 10.3 on it, but since it was bought after the release, you got Mac OS X 10.4 restore DVDs. Why they are 10.4.2 versions on them I don't know, as 10.4.2 was released in July and up until then most to be sold Macs should have 10.4 on them anyway.

PS: Why the need for another thread?

3. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.