Safe to upgrade to iTunes 9?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Simgar988, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

I'm running 3.0.1 on a 3GS and never upgraded to iTunes 9 because I wasn't sure if it was safe w/ my phone being jailbroken. Since then, I haven't thought about it, but was wondering if it is safe to up iTunes 9 from 8.

thanks

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Asked and answered in several existing threads.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Everyone's saying it's safe, but personally given the problems some have had, I'd wait before I got locked into 9.1.

4. Simgar988 thread starter macrumors 65816

Simgar988

oops... damn. And here every one is *****ing at me saying the complete opposite. I knew I could count on the trolls to ruin the day.

Thanks Aggie

5. dragonc12 macrumors member

dragonc12

trolling??? yeah okay...

the people the are saying its safe are saying that because they have obviously NOT had any problems with it! I've been jailbroken for a year and I've never had any issues using any version of iTunes with a jailbroken phone. I usually wait til the dev team gives the go ahead (which they have by the way) and then I go ahead and upgrade.

that's not to say that people won't have issues. but it could have very well been an isolated incident. but if the people who pretty much HEAD the jailbreaking community (i.e. the dev team) say its okay to make a move, i usually trust it.

but the final decision ultimately lays on you. YOU made the decision to jailbreak and deal with any consequences that may occur.

6. phrint macrumors 6502

I am jailbroken and running the newest version of iTunes with zero problems. The only issues I have read about are those with syncing problems on Windows and 9.1 which was a problem with blackra1n.

I did run into issues with some apps signed for 3.1.3 that wouldn't download on my iPhone as I am on 3.1.2. Interesting that Apple would attempt to control which version of the software you are using. I just moved back to the older version of the apps.

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

Copied from Musclenerd Twitter

iTunes 9.1 safe for overall jailbreak, unlock, PwnageTool, redsn0w mac+pc, DFU mode, saurik's server. (blackra1n broken, not Apple's fault)

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Where did you get the idea posters are saying it is safe. Only one post (#2) said it was safe.

Had you looked for the other existing threads, you would have known there are issues.

9. dragonc12 macrumors member

dragonc12

exactly. and there is already a FIX for blackra1n users as well.

but like i said, ultimately it rests on the user to make that decision