Safe to upgrade to latest version when Jailbroken VIA itunes?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by reignz, Oct 14, 2010.

1. reignz macrumors newbie

Hi everyone im on 3.1.2 Jailbroken with blackr1an.

Im looking up upgrade to the lastest version Via i-tunes because I want the newest ios, and dont care for jailbreak anymore.

Can I just upgrade to Via itunes and all my jail broken stuff will be erased off my phone (No Memeory lossage i.e all the jailbroken apps still there) and it will be unjailbroken and work?

Or do I need to do something before upgrading to the lastest version.

2. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Just update as new device through iTunes. Phone will be stock again and all JB stuff will be gone

3. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

DFU mode is your friend.

4. reignz thread starter macrumors newbie

what do you mean?

5. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Holding the sleep button and home button for 12 seconds, releasing only the sleep button until iTunes tells you that an iPhone in DFU mode is connected is how you would place a phone into it. I'm assuming he's recommending you restore your phone in this manner as it would update you go the newest OS but would delete everything on your phone.

6. kre62 macrumors 68000

Why would you ever do this? Talk about unnecessary steps.

Just download the firmware, then hold Shift (option for mac) and click Restore. Find the firmware and restore. No need for DFU mode.

In fact the first thing itunes will do is put the phone in DFU mode. No need to do it yourself.

7. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Please don't reply to a thread unless you know what you're talking about.

Google is fun, see?

8. reignz thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi everyone I upgraded with itunes and everything went smoothly with out a Hitch, only problem is now my Carrier name is still set to my coustom one (Makeitmine), and im not even jailbroken! Is there any way I can make it revert back to my Orginal carrier name ?

9. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

You were supposed to restore as a new phone. You'll always bring sole sort of files back from the previous self. You can always jailbreak it once more with LimeRa1n.

10. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

No, it most diffidently isn't in this case. Completely unnecessary.

11. Barneygumble47 macrumors regular

12. reignz thread starter macrumors newbie

K just reset all settings and it was fine... question is, is this legit enough to bring in to apple store for them to replace my phone, I have a faulty ringer switch..

13. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

Yes, you will be fine. I got a genius bar replacement in the same situation. A restore and setup as new for a jb phone is indistinguishable from any other standard phone to an apple store employee.

14. outphase macrumors 65816

There's a way to edit your carrier name even without being jailbroken. You're free to search this up if it interests you. The file is actually kept in your backup.