Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Running Monterey 12.7.4 on the 2019 MacBook Pro and bumping up against some errors here and there. Need up upgrade at some point, but have been fearful of the iCloud file deletion bug as well as many others listed in this section of the Forums.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
If you are nervous, make sure you have a good backup (Time Machine) and know how to recover. Then you are safe from any disasters.

macOS 14 Sonoma is more stable than previous macOS for most people.

Do your research as to whether you will need to update any of your apps. A frequent issue with a big jump in macOS version.

You say "bumping up against some errors here and there". No guarantee that an upgrade will change this. You should consider a) fixing the errors, or b) doing a clean install of macOS 14.5, reinstalling all apps and copying files from backup.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
If you are nervous, make sure you have a good backup (Time Machine) and know how to recover. Then you are safe from any disasters.

macOS 14 Sonoma is more stable than previous macOS for most people.

Do your research as to whether you will need to update any of your apps. A frequent issue with a big jump in macOS version.

You say "bumping up against some errors here and there". No guarantee that an upgrade will change this. You should consider a) fixing the errors, or b) doing a clean install of macOS 14.5, reinstalling all apps and copying files from backup.
Yup. ALWAYS have backups.

Haven't done a clean install in a long time, so that's good advice.

The main error I'm seeing is with Apple Configurator not loading any apps. Have seen this before when I was a bunch of revs down, and it usually clears up by upgrading.

jb310

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2017
I have a 16-inch 2019 MacBook Pro that I've updated to Sonoma and it's been working fine for me with no issues. Regarding the iCloud file deletion bug, I think leaving the "Optimize Storage" setting OFF fixes it (I've never had it on).

Reactions: AZhappyjack

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Yup. ALWAYS have backups.

Haven't done a clean install in a long time, so that's good advice.

The main error I'm seeing is with Apple Configurator not loading any apps. Have seen this before when I was a bunch of revs down, and it usually clears up by upgrading.
If you think that you are missing app updates, you might click them in the app-store.
Some apps 'think' you are not interested (I think).
;JOOP!

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
I have a 16-inch 2019 MacBook Pro that I've updated to Sonoma and it's been working fine for me with no issues. Regarding the iCloud file deletion bug, I think leaving the "Optimize Storage" setting OFF fixes it (I've never had it on).
Appreciate the datapoint. Assume you upgraded and didn't do a complete clean install. Wondering what you updated from.

Good to know about the iCloud bug. Since the dawning of time, Apple has SUCKED at synchronization. 😡

jb310

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2017
Assume you upgraded and didn't do a complete clean install. Wondering what you updated from.
From Ventura; I always try to keep my Macs on the latest OS version that they can support. I don't think I've ever done a clean install on that particular laptop, as it's never shown any issues (yet).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.