safe to upgrade to ML?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ericDylan, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ericDylan macrumors regular

    Jan 6, 2012
    My friend from school gave me a copy of the mountain lion recently and i have been debating whether I should use it or not.

    He told me he got it from his dad (who is a developer), but, knowing him, it is probably off of some pirate torrent.
    I am fairly new to apple computers, but I consider myself a pretty tech-savvy person.
    I really want to test out the new features and everything. I just have a few questions.

    I made a complete time machine back-up. 1) Is that all i need to do for that if i need to restore if something goes wrong? I also have the lion usb recovery (becasue I have a 2010 air and it came with one).

    2) Would i need to wipe my computer before installing? I have the 128gb version, so a separate ML partition is not possible.

    3) For people who have done it, are most of the apps you use compatible with ML?

    4) Are there any problems I might come across when doing this.

    I know some will say i should just wait, but I do not want to wait if i don't have to. If this is relatively risk-free, then I want to do it.

    If I am unable to install over lion without losing things, could i restore my files with a lion (time machine) back-up while maintaining ML as my OS?

    Thanks in advance!
  2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus


    Mar 7, 2007
    You should wait for ML to be released instead of trying to get a pirated copy to work.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page