Safe to Upgrade to Mojave now?

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by Appurushido, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Appurushido macrumors 6502

Right after it was released, there was a nasty security bug/flaw that was present. Just curious to those who have yet to update. Have you? And is it safe to do so now?

Still on Sierra. On a MBP wTB 2017 released just before OS High Seirra, but had no reason to update.

2. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

To be honest, I wish I'd stayed on the last version of Sierra. HS introduced some instability and Mojave seems to be more stable but has significantly decreased the usable sleep time and introduced some other issues. Everything worked better in Sierra so I'll likely go back to that. I'll try to update to .1 of Mojave when it's ready, but if that still causes me issues I'll go back to the final Sierra.

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I installed Mojave the day it was released. Outside of a few very small bugs, I haven't had any problems. I am enjoying it thus far.

4. SoYoung macrumors 6502a

I installed Mojave since launch day and it is the best update so far on my iMac that came with El Captain. Apps open quicker and the overall system feels a little more snappier. I didn't have any issues so far compared to last year.

5. 0009827 Suspended

The security issue is not as bad as media said. Basically no different to High Sierra.

6. chrfr macrumors 604

This security bug is a bit overblown in the media. It's a new feature that is exclusive to Mojave. Even if this new feature doesn't work exactly right in Mojave, the system is almost certainly more secure than High Sierra is.

7. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

What do you mean by "usuable sleep time"?

8. TokMok3 macrumors 6502a

My usb keyboard was causing Mojave not to wake from sleep mode. Now I’m using a Bluetooth keyboard and that issue has stop... there are minor glitches that will be solved in the next update.

9. David58117 macrumors 65816

Working fine on a 2014 Mac mini and 2017 rMBP

10. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

With Sierra I lost 4% to 6% overnight. With Mojave it’s closer to 30%. It means I need to be more careful about ensuring that I’m planning on having access to my charger, whereas with Sierra it was far less of an issue.

11. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

Ahhh yea you have a Macbook - I have an iMac so not an issue for me. Wow that's a substantial difference though. o_O

12. neliason macrumors 6502

If that is so then I’d suspect the Power Nap feature. Try disabling it and see if it helps. Instructions for how to disable are here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204032