safe to use icloud photo library beta?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ptbolakers, Feb 24, 2015.

1. ptbolakers macrumors newbie

Is it safe to use the beta version of the icloud photo library? Second, does anybody know when Apple will release the final version?

2. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

It's safe if you have a full and up to date backup of all your photos and don't mind restoring from it if necessary.

3. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I am using it with no problems so far. I can't guarantee that it will be a seamless experience for you, but it's been pretty stable for me so far.

4. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

Not sure if it's safe... But it's very badly implemented.

Seriosuly... If I delete a photo from my phone, why would it need to be deleted from my iPad as well?

I'd go with Dropbox or OneDrive.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I've got 5000+ photos sitting on there at the moment and all seems well enough

6. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

The point of iCloud photo library is a seamless 2 way sync. If you're looking for simple one way backup then tje alternatives you mention are more your thing. This is a fantastic solution to ensure your photo library is the same on any device you pick up.

It's been a beautiful and seamless solution for me, just back up and enable!

7. john991 macrumors 6502a

With that many photos are you finding your running out of space on your iOS devices? I have 3,600 photos and iOS told me iPad was running out of space and I needed to optimize the photos for more room.

8. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

Do you have the optimize for device option enabled? I have around 4500 photos so far but I also have 128gb devices. Still, my library consumes a fairly small portion of it

9. sualpine macrumors 6502

sualpine

It's running very well, but make sure one of your Macs has the "store full resolution photos and videos" option turned on so that you can also have a full TM backup of your library as well.

10. john991, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015

john991 macrumors 6502a

I have optimization turned off on my iPad. My iPad is a 32Gb version. Which is kind of small for storing pictures on!

I'm also finding some duplicate photo's that were uploaded to iCloud and on my iPad, so I'm deleting the duplicates. I switch from photostream to iCloud and wonder if that is why I had duplicates. (some sort of bug in iCloud / photo stream)

11. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

If that's a problem, I think you're missing the whole point of this sort of cloud storage solution. The whole concept is that the cloud stores the master copies, and devices essentially just become viewers, with the ability to cache locally as space allows. If you delete a copy from your master, you expect it to be gone everywhere you view that master collection from. If it wasn't, it would be an organizational nightmare. If space is a problem, use the option to only store small versions locally and to retrieve full resolution on demand.

12. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

I second that.

13. john991 macrumors 6502a

One more question... If I have a photo in all photos and the same picture in an album does iCloud Photo Library know it's the same picture and stores it once or will there be a duplicate photo one in all photos and one in the album?

Thanks