Safe to use Win7 Enterprise trial in bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Hoggle, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Hoggle macrumors newbie

First of all, I have no intention to try and pirate, or get windows for free or anything like this, but I also don't want to go out and spend $200 just right now for windows, after just picking up a new 21.5" imac this week.

I searched for some type of trial, and found one for Win7 enterprise edition to try for 90 days. The catch is that you are 'supposed' to be in the IT field for this, but I have read that it works just like the other versions out there. Also, after 90 days it will stop working, and you will have to completely uninstall it before getting the full version of windows 7. Is this ok to do with bootcamp?

If I understand right, I would insert a blank dvd, and copy the file that is downloaded, and install as I would normally with bootcamp. Is it easy then to simply uninstall this version of windows and the partition, and then install a new version on Win7 after the 90 days? As I said, I have every intention of purchasing the full retail version, but I was lucky to have the wife's blessing in purchasing the new imac; It would be nice to have that timeframe to pick up the retail copy, and be able to see how well Windows works on the new machine. (I am dying to try out The Witcher 2, after I realized I couldn't run it on our original Vista pc).

Thanks for any info, it is appreciated.

2. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

The enterprise version will work just fine.

All the versions of Windows 7 are the same. They just have different license options and different features enabled.

When your done, to get rid of the Windows Install on a Mac all you have to do is re-run the Boot Camp Assistant (it will give you a option to remove the Windows Boot Camp partition).

---

Another option is to download the version of Windows 7 you plan to buy (From Here). During the setup process leave the Product Key box blank.

This will give you a 30 day grace period to try Windows 7. When your ready to enter a purchased product key, just open the Start Menu, type "activate" and follow the steps.

Note: If you need more than 30 days with this method you can open up a Administrator Command Prompt and type "slmgr -rearm". This will reset the grace period and give you another 30 days. Remember though, You can only use "slmgr -rearm" 3 times.

3. Hoggle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much. I never knew this could be done through those links. Thanks again, as I will use that so I don't have to install Windows after 90 days. I also thought I needed a product key right away....very nice to know.