Safe way to clean keyboard "grease"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hypnosis, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Hypnosis macrumors member

Macbook's keyboard is getting shiny from finger oils and just general use. Are alcohol wipes (Clorox disinfecting wipes) safe to use to clean the keys?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I just spray some Invisible Glass on a microfibre towel and wipe it down and that works.

41c8XBEmWjL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

3. newellj macrumors 601

Your solution is much more cost-effective than mine. I power the machine off and spray iKlear onto a MF cloth. Works fine, cost per application is probably way too high...but this only happens maybe 1x/month.

4. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

I just use microfibre towel without any cleaning solution, But I keep my microfibre in a case after use.

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I use some towel with isopropanol on my external Apple keyboard, and it takes it off easily.

6. chrfr macrumors 603

It doesn't take long for the keys to get a polish to them. Cleaning won't take that off; the only fix would be to replace the key caps.

7. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

I second this keep the chemicals away from the keyboard ( friends have noticed discoloration/flat keys) just use a micro and apply pressure. Make sure the mac is off and go in circular motions. Works for me always good luck :)

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr