Safe with Leopard? Internet Explorer for Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Chris7, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Chris7 macrumors 6502

Hello,

My office is using an online scheduling site that requires Internet Explorer (some things are not readable when using it with Safari, Mozilla, or Chrome).

According to Wik, Microsoft stopped updating Version 5.2.3 in 2005.

Does this mean Internet Explorer for Mac will let in more recent viruses, or is this protected by OSX also?

I'd hate to buy a cheap PC just for this, but that's what it might come down to.

Many thanks,

Chris

2. celticpride678

Not sure about the viruses, but in general, using a browser from 2005 isn't a good idea.

3. Zyniker macrumors 6502

IE may have problems, but your OS should remain safe as most viruses are written for a particular OS (most of the time that OS is not OS X). What precisely is it that requires IE? If the software just 'prefers' IE, you could always set your user agent to IE in Safari and happily use Safari while the software thinks you are using IE.

If you are concerned about viruses, just get a virus scanner. Such as ClamAV.

4. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Yes, definitely check out the Debug mode in Safari and Firefox to change the 'User Agent' such that the browser identifies itself as IE.

Bootcamp or a VM would be preferable to attempting to run Mac for IE.

5. Chris7 thread starter macrumors 6502

"Office Ally"
    Thanks Zyniker and slpdLoad.

How is this done?

6. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Go into Safari pref. Chose advance, and check the checkbox that says "Show develop menu in menu bar" Then chose develope, and go to the user agent.

I'm making a quick YouTube video for you too. Its currently uploading. I'll post the link when i'm done.

Edit: Here it is. Its not the highest quality, but it does show you how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvTYY9Zd9So

7. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Doesn't appear to be mentioned in that article, but if you go the VM route, check out VirtualBox. It's free and should be fine for just running IE.

8. Chris7 thread starter macrumors 6502

A sincere thanks your effort in making and putting up this video. Unfortunately, Office Ally did not work differently with Safari settings set to Internet Explorer 7. (Office Ally still shows people scheduled to the side of the calendar in "weekly mode," etc)

WineBottler: So this program enables Microsoft Windows-compatible programs to run directly on OSX, without the need of “Virtualization” software and buying and installing a version of Windows? I will try this first (on Monday).

If WhineBottler does not work for some reason and I need to go the virtualization rout...

I read the link. This may be the subject of a new thread, but I'm if I do have to the virtualization rout, why would I go with:

VirtualBox vs. Parallels Desktop vs. VM Ware Fusion.

If I have to buy Windows, I don’t mind paying for the Virtualization software. If I do buy a version of Windows, I would probably want to buy Windows 7. My brother who use to code computers said that, unlike all previous Windows versions, Windows 7 does not constantly pick up “junk” (not necessarily viruses, just stuff that slows computers down). I’m a little suspect of his assessment of Windows 7, as he’s so use to cleaning off his computers that he probably doesn’t realize how much OS maintenance he does that I do not know how to do.

I do not want to run Windows natively on my Mac (the Boot camp rout).

BTW, Does "VM" stand for “Virtualization”?

A sincere thanks for your help. I'll be back here later today or Monday at the latest.

-Chris

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

VM = Virtual Machine, which is related to virtualization.

Also of note: You can run IE6 in Wine just fine, though it's not perfect. IE7 and later do NOT work.

10. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

You will only need a real copy of IE if the site requires ActiveX components. If it doesn't, it will run fine with Firefox/Safari/Opera/Chrome.

11. Chris7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wine plus Internet Explorer 6

A sincere thanks for your help. I did not know about running IE6 at the latest, so you just saved me a lot of time.:)

I will try this rout, and post again on this thread when I have it working.

If I end up doing virtualization (hopefully not for just IE6), I will do some more reading, and start a new thread on the subject.

12. Chris7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Steps to instal IE with Wine and WineBottler

Hello again.

Does anyone know which other software I need to make IE6 work with Wine and WineBottler?

Also, it looks like the "intrusions" for installing a Windows app are written for people with more knowledge of computers than I have. What are the steps to making IE6 work with Wine/WineBottler? It seems like there are choices to be made that I have no idea about...

If IE6 has "predefined prefixes" I follow the directions here. But there are not really any instructions.

If IE6 does not have predefined prefixes, I follow the directions on other links on the instructions page here.

Edit: I downloaded and installed the WineBottler Combo disk image here, but do not know what else I might need from there.

Also, what's IEs4Linux about elsewhere?

13. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Step 1: Update your Wine runtime to version 1.2 - you have version 1.1.44. This is easy enough. Once Wine is running, bring up its preferences from the wine menu item, and click Check For Updates Now. It'll download a ~56MB file, install it, then restart itself.
    Step 2: Create a prefix for IE6 to live in. This is also done from the Wine menu - choose Change Prefix, and create one by clicking Add. The new prefix will initialize itself.
    Step 3: Install IE6. The easiest way to do this is via winetricks - which can be invoked from the Wine menu. Once Winetricks is open, you'll see a list of stuff you can install. Select IE6 from the list, then click Apply.
    Note: At this point the install might fail with an error saying the download is corrupted - this happens sometimes, just try again, it usually works the second time.
    Step 4: Launch IE6. To do this, you can either invoke the Wine File Manager and navigate to Program Files -> Internet Explorer -> iexplore.exe
    ... or double-click the same file from the Finder.
    Step 5: There is no step 5, you're done!

14. Chris7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is Wine Running? Where?

I tried opening Version 1.1.44 from the Applications folder. There were just a few windows -- one called "WineTricks,” another called "General Preferences" with a light switch, and another called "Change Prefix." After a couple of failed attempts of downloading Version 1.2, it was installed.

Unfortunately, I closed the three windows, and now they will not re-open.

I have dragged the Wine icon to the Dock – no problem. I clicked it and nothing happens – no clue that it is running in the Dock (no dot) nor the “Applications” folder (no arrow). But the activity monitor shows it is running.

So I did a “Force Quit” from the Activity Monitor. Then clicked Wine again. Nothing.

I guess I’ll look at installing software like this kind of like a video game.:D

Thank you so much for your time.

-Chris

15. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Wine only runs in the menu bar - a little wine glass icon should show up next to your other menu bar icons.

Here's some screen shots to illustrate what I mean: One is with Wine not running, the other is with it running. Spot the difference, if you know what I mean.

EDIT: Dang it, the screen shots don't show the menu icons I wanted. Let's try this again, shall we?

16. Chris7 thread starter macrumors 6502

"You'll find a logfile to help with debugging on your desktop."

Found it easily. Thank you.

But, I've now tried step 3 (Installing "ie6 Internet Explorer 6") from Wine - Winetricks window seven or more times. Each time it says, "“Install” window says “Prefix creation exited with error… You’ll find a logfile to help with debugging on your desktop.”

I'm committed to getting this to work, as long as someone is willing to help. I'll be back in the office at 10 AM eastern time tomorrow, and will check this thread first thing.

Below is info that may (or may not) be helpful. It also may be just what is need for strangers to hack into my computer. In that case, oops.

###BOTTLING### applywinetricks.sh
    ###BOTTLING### Gathering debug Info...

Versions
    OS...........................: darwin9.0
    Wine.........................: 1.2
    WineBottler..................: 1.2

Environment
    PWD..........................: '/Applications/Wine.app/Contents/Resources/bin'
    PATH.........................: /usr/gnu/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:.
    WINEPATH.....................: /Applications/Wine.app/Contents/Resources/bin
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH..............: /Applications/Wine.app/Contents/Resources/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib
    DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH...: /usr/lib:/Applications/Wine.app/Contents/Resources/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib
    FONTCONFIG_FILE..............: /Applications/Wine.app/Contents/Resources/etc/fonts/fonts.conf
    DIPSPLAY.....................: /tmp/launch-mhRp95/:0
    SILENT.......................:
    http_proxy...................:
    https_proxy..................:
    ftp_proxy....................:
    socks5_proxy.................:

INSTALLER_URL................:
    INSTALLER_IS_ZIPPED..........: 0
    INSTALLER_NAME...............:
    INSTALLER_ARGUMENTS..........:

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07
    SMC Version (system): 1.16f11
    Serial Number (system): W88021BLX91
    Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-001EC2068698
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

###BOTTLING### installing ie6
    wine: chdir to /private/tmp/winebottler/1280190082/wineprefix
    : No such file or directory
    mkdir: /private/tmp/winebottler/1280190082/wineprefix: No such file or directory
    ln: /private/tmp/winebottler/1280190082/wineprefix/dosdevices/y:: No such file or directory
    mkdir: /private/tmp/winebottler/1280190082/wineprefix: No such file or directory
    wine: chdir to /private/tmp/winebottler/1280190082/wineprefix
    : No such file or directory
    ### LOG ### Command 'sh /private/tmp/winebottler/1280190082/winetricks.sh ie6' returned status 1.

------------------------------------------------------ /private/tmp/winebottler/1280190082/wine cmd.exe /c echo '%ProgramFiles%' returned empty string ------------------------------------------------------

###ERROR### Command 'sh /private/tmp/winebottler/1280190082/winetricks.sh ie6' returned status 1.
    Task returned with status 15.

17. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The error message you're getting indicates that you skipped a step - in this case, step #2, create a Wine prefix. So go do that first, and try again.

18. Corbin052198 macrumors 6502

Corbin052198

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

wrldwzrd89 nailed the instructions for Wine Bottler ;)

Google can help you find IE Macintosh Edition (although it may not work the same as Windows IE). It's been proven to work on Mac OS X 10.5, and might work on 10.6 if you have Rosseta installed.

19. Chris7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank You: Virtualization Later

I apologize for just now get back here. You were exactly right. I had skipped step #2. Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 is running thanks to your help.

Unfortunately, IE6 is a little "weird." Pieces of pages disapear, drop-down windows sometimes turn to white when I scroll over them, etc. With Office Ally, this means I actually cannot even log in with Microsoft IE6.

For now I found a way to make Office Ally work well enough with Safari by confining myself to the "Daily View," although I still cannot see the "Week in View."

I will need to go the virtualization rout (and install real version of Microsoft Windows), but I have a bunch of stuff to do with the office before I will have time. I'll post in the appropriate section.

I hope you or some of the other good people here are around then.

Sincerely,

Chris

20. tylerlang macrumors newbie

having similar issue as Chris7, could use some advice

wrldwzrd89 gave some great advice and I have done the wine update etc. and am having trouble creating a new prefix for IE6 in Wine. In wine, I click change prefix, then Save As "IE6" under Applications and then hit Save, and then that "Prefix creation exited with error" pops up, and gives me the logfile below.

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers

###BOTTLING### customprefix.sh
    ###BOTTLING### Gathering debug Info...

Versions
    OS...........................: darwin10.0
    Wine.........................: 1.2.2
    WineBottler..................: 1.2.2

Environment
    PWD..........................: '/Applications/Wine.app/Contents/Resources/bin'
    PATH.........................: /usr/gnu/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:.
    WINEPATH.....................: /Applications/Wine.app/Contents/Resources/bin
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH..............: /Applications/Wine.app/Contents/Resources/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib
    DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH...: /usr/lib:/Applications/Wine.app/Contents/Resources/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib
    FONTCONFIG_FILE..............: /Applications/Wine.app/Contents/Resources/etc/fonts/fonts.conf
    DIPSPLAY.....................: /tmp/launch-AkyX24/org.x:0
    SILENT.......................:
    http_proxy...................:
    https_proxy..................:
    ftp_proxy....................:
    socks5_proxy.................:

INSTALLER_URL................:
    INSTALLER_IS_ZIPPED..........: 0
    INSTALLER_NAME...............:
    INSTALLER_ARGUMENTS..........:

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 2.5 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
    SMC Version (system): 1.13f3
    Serial Number (system): 4H6467EXWGL
    Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0019E3474EF6
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

###BOTTLING### Enabling CoreAudio, Colors, Antialiasing and flat menus...
    wine: '/Applications' is not owned by you, refusing to create a configuration directory there
    ### LOG ### Command '/Applications/Wine.app/Contents/Resources/bin/wine regedit /tmp/reg.reg' returned status 1.

###ERROR### Command '/Applications/Wine.app/Contents/Resources/bin/wine regedit /tmp/reg.reg' returned status 1.
    Task returned with status 15.