safely clean

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alexandre16, Jan 10, 2012.

1. alexandre16 macrumors member

Hi
    i have a mackbook pro (2010 version), and i want to clean the trash on my mac, the old files that stay on computer after the uninstall of programs etc, to the computer isnt slower but i want i think that is time to clean the trash and increase a little the performance and velocity :) i searched some programs and saw that some programs cleans some important files, and the people say that this programs arent good and shouldnt use.
    Anyone know a good program to help me?
    Tell me some free and paid exemples, if you can :)
    Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You really don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space at the risk of deleting something important.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, not help it. Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software.

Five Mac maintenance myths

In most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

3. alexandre16 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much for the help, i really use this uninstall method :)

4. alexandre16 thread starter macrumors member

And about the virus? i think that mac cant have virus, the permissions system on unix is strong and i think that virus cant live here. What yours opinions?

5. simsaladimbamba

There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.
    Also know, that the term "virus" is often used to refer to other kinds of malware, but there are differences, which you can find out by reading the following:

Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What simsaladimbamba said. You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep your Mac malware-free. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. You cannot infect your Mac simply by visiting a website, unzipping a file, opening an email attachment or joining a network. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which cannot infect your Mac unless you actively install them, and they can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps. Read the link simsaladimbamba posted for details.