Safely Jailbreaking 4.2.1 on iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jameslikeness, Feb 1, 2011.

1. jameslikeness macrumors member

jameslikeness

I'm thinking about jailbreaking my iPhone 3G. I'm sticking with AT&T, so no need to unlock. I previously used a jailbreak about a year and a half ago to try out Backgrounder, but the phone became laggy in general and I wasn't happy with it, so I restored to an official Apple firmware. I'm interested now in seeing if a jailbroken iPhone 3G will run better than it did before, and hopefully better than it's running now. I also want to check out LockInfo because it would be nice to add a little bit of functionality to my phone after 2.5 years.

So my question is this… I've read that certain unlocks that are out there now are irreversible, and I was wondering if that applied to jailbreaks as well. I'm planning on using redsn0w to jailbreak, and I just want to make sure that I can restore it back to Apple firmware if I need to in the future.

Sorry if this is a question that gets asked a lot, and thanks for the help!

2. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

well youve read wrong about the unlocks. I think you mean that if you upgrade to a particular baseband that it is not reversible. yes if you jailbreak you can restore with an apple ipsw and delete the jailbreak if you want. but, if you install the iPad baseband (only needed to unlock) then you could not use apple ipsw's in the future to restore you would have to use custom ones.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

Please read the stickies at the top of the forum. All your info you requested is there.

4. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

I jailbroke my 3G with 4.2.1 a few weeks ago and it's been all good. Definitely download the FakeClockUp tweak mentioned here: http://goo.gl/YQBOc

Apple should have offered something like this for 3G users as soon as 4.0 was released.

5. Smalss macrumors member

I did a simple jailbreak with pwnage tool, worked like a charm. Super easy. Just made my custom firmware without the baseband update, and disabling a couple other things. Worked perfect. Kept my old baseband and then I unlocked.

I would suggest using Pwnage tool and check out http://iclarified.com/ for an easy tutorial.

6. noiceT macrumors 6502a

Interesing. Does it really help the lagginess?

7. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

Yes. But remember the whole 3G experience was determined by the individual phones. I never had the super slowness that some saw, just the stuttering. So for me this has worked out really well. I feel like it's back on 3.1.3.