Safer to rebuild my iPad manually or restore from backup on iOS 7.1?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by east85, Mar 30, 2014.

1. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

I'm looking to avoid anything negative here, but I've heard the best way to go about this is to just rebuild the way my iPad was instead of restoring from backup. There seems to be battery issues related to iOS 7.1, among other things, leading a lot of people who upgraded to do clean installs.

I backed up on iOS 7.0.6 before sending my device out for repair. I'll be receiving a refurbished model on iOS 7.1.

2. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

Yes, you heard correctly. However, if you weren't experiencing any problems prior to your last backup, it might be safe use it. You can always restore and set up as new if there are problems after using a backup. It does seem common to hear to just set up as new rather than use a backup to avoid the potential frustration, which leads me to believe there is merit in this advice. I will say that setting up as new got me to shake up my settings, wallpapers, etc routine, which is a good thing. It also helped me realize how many apps I didn't use.

3. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

Thanks, yeah I think that's what I'll go with. I have a screenshot I did of my iPad screen at least to go off of for a rebuild, might help a little. I am a bit of a kleptomaniac when it comes to app freebies and sales so maybe it's for the best. :D

4. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

I've always done fresh, clean installs upon upgrading and have always rebuilt my iDevices from stratch.

this is why I've NEVER had any kind of battery problems caused by the software (hardware deficiencies, like the suddenly-dying battery after 6-7 months of service in my iPhone 5, are unrelated issues.)

I certainly recommend this way. Don't restore any previous backup and ALWAYS do a fresh install!

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Have been doing only OTA updates since they became available on a couple of iPhone 4 phones and now a couple of iPhone 5 phones as well and haven't had any battery issues either. I would say that a clean install might certainly be worth a try if there are issues, but in general not something that would be necessary for most as the first thing to try.

6. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

Thanks guys. I was pleased to see my refurb arrived on 7.0.6. :)

Very happy right now, no plans to update.