Safest iphone to buy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by powelrainbow, Aug 24, 2009.

1. powelrainbow macrumors newbie

I've heard that some people have had problems with their iphones by accidentally bricking them and in many cases it seems like
    it have more or less been iphones under contract, since they could all go to apple and get a new one(or is it just a world wide guarantee?).

So my question is, will the chance of bricking the phone be less if I buy a legally unlocked iphone(HK, Italy, Belgium etc.),
    than buying one under contract(unless the carrier will legally unlock it for you after 24 months)?

2. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

yes the apple warranty is worldwide. carriers wont unlock it for you.

Chances of your bricking it while unlocking are 0.001%

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Bricking is a myth.

Seriously. It doesn't happen. Not anymore anyway.

4. Harpoon Spoon macrumors regular

Maybe. I had a crappy T-mobile phone and I bricked it while trying to unlock it.

5. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

iPhones may not get completely bricked, but there have been cases of WiFi and Bluetooth being perminantely disabled while trying to unlock.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    Everything is reversible if you know what you're doing.
    Wifi damage or other has not beeing linked to unlocking. It might be a whole other defect or damage not caused by software unlock.

7. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

I don't think I've ever heard of an iPhone being completely bricked from jailbreaking/unlocking such that it could never be used again.

Not quite. Posted on Apple's iPhone warranty FAQ page here:

Can I get my iPhone serviced outside the country of purchase?
    No, service for eligible repairs is only available in the country where your iPhone was originally purchased.​

I have heard of people getting their iPhones repaired or swapped out in countries other than where they were purchased, but Apple can certainly decline to do this based on this policy...

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Not since 1.1, at least.

9. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I doubt you'd brick your phone.

I think the 2G's the easiest to unlock, the 3G's fairly straightforward as well and the 3GS is the most complicated (although manageable)

Google iClarified and look at the tutorials to see what is required. I've not seen a post on here that ever indicated a phone was permanently damaged.

10. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

When I first read this title I couldn't help but think about the exploding iphone story. ;)

OP- It's almost impossible with the new OS (3.0). Trust me, I researched this heavily before jb'ing. I'm accident prone.

11. newportpaco macrumors member